WP installed...accessory/V-belt help.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got my water pump put back on, but I'm being diesel dumb about how all the accessory brackets and belts go back together. Iknow I know, I should have labelled them better..., but if anyone can tell me how to tell the difference between the belts I would appreciate it...and if someone can get me some pics of a running 6.9 or pre serpentine belt 7.3 with factory AC amd power steering, then I owe you big time. So anyway, thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone could help. If you can I really appreciate it,
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The alternator belt goes on first. Back grove of the alternator, then the water pump, and crank. Next belt is Power steering. Back grove of PS pulley, then water pump then crank. AC belt is last, around water pump and crank. The vacuum pump belt goes to the alternator. This is assuming you have a 6.9. You may find some usefull pictures in my album links.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel,
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I was at the dealer getting belts the A/C belt and the alternator belt use the same part number. I don't think it used to be that way but I guess they are trying to limit stock and they were close enough in length to get away with it. Last time I checked I couldn't get the lower radiation hose for the van. I hate when they discontinue stuff.
Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS turbo, new paint.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea me too. I can't vouch for the lenght. I had problems getting an alternator belt for the Bronco since I somehow ended up with an alternator with a non-standard size pulley.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way to tell the belts apart? As dbensen said, I find that two of them are pretty near the same length. If I mix them up will they just not work or mightaI mess something up? Thanks,
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will either fit, or they wont.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a solution for those of you struggling with parts, forget about the dealership! Aftermarket has them and they are as good or better, most are made by the same people! And always cost less.

JD, if the belt fits, it will work. When I bought new belts for mine, they were all the same series of belt (7400) series Gates, so they are the same pitch and such. So if the belt fits, wear it! :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The belts will have the length printed on them in metric size. Also, if you want the "map" of how the brackets fit the motor look in the Haynes manual. It has the setup pictured really easy to figure out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online