Winch questions

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really that bad on the winch to leave the front of the car/truck pulled down with the winch instead of using a couple of ratcheting straps on the front?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldnt say it's really bad....shock loads (bouncing) could potentially damage it but thats about all I see wrong. I would always use chains and straps to secure the vehicle to the trailer and then the winch becomes secondary retention.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldnt say it's really bad....shock loads (bouncing) could potentially damage it but thats about all I see wrong. I would always use chains and straps to secure the vehicle to the trailer and then the winch becomes secondary retention.
+1 on what he said.
It's the law on independent 4pt. ties downs when securing vehicles to the deck. The winch does not count. Too many things to go wrong in a winch that will cut a car loose. I make a living at hauling stuff and have yet to lose a item in 15 years. What are you hauling? I have some pretty creative yet legal ideas on securing cargo:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chains are the way to go, but many cars these days often no longer have tie-down points. But, they often do have aluminum rims with large holes in them;Sweet rather than run a long 2in strap thru the rim to the anchor point, I use one of these thru the rim and to a chain. It's legal and beats having to get up on the deck to strap down a car.
As far as The Warden's mattress is concerned, that was the first ever item ever to come off the back of my truck. It reconfirmed why I hate and will no longer haul mattresses on a open bed or deck. Five years of hauling scrap car bodies on a open flatbed, and never a nut, bolt or car part come off my truck. Help out a "buddy" and my rep goes into the toilet-cuss

Attachments

• 05-03-07_1648.jpg
    05-03-07_1648.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 05-23-06_1955.jpg
    05-23-06_1955.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 18-09-06_1557.jpg
    18-09-06_1557.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 18-09-06_1556.jpg
    18-09-06_1556.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 17

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as The Warden's mattress is concerned, that was the first ever item ever to come off the back of my truck. It reconfirmed why I hate and will no longer haul mattresses on a open bed or deck. Five years of hauling scrap car bodies on a open flatbed, and never a nut, bolt or car part come off my truck. Help out a "buddy" and my rep goes into the toilet-cuss
:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

All joking aside, it really was the first (and only) time he's ever lost anything over the side...and, best we could figure, it was because the strap broke, as opposed to an issue with how it was strapped in place. The strap was nowhere to be found, although I did see it on the side of the 101 a few days later. And, the mattress WAS recovered ;Sweet He gives me a hard time, at times (usually well-deserved, I admit)...I just couldn't resist returning the favor :angel: probably will be the only chance I ever get...

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat, how long are the 2" straps that your wrapping through the wheels?

I have been carrying various cars (mostly 80-90's Volvos) and on several occasions the wife's 2003 crew cab when we needed two trucks for the trip home. On the longer trips, I have always hooking the winch, but the shorter trips I had been leaving the winch tight with a single strap on the front and two on the rear, hence the question.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, how long are the 2" straps that your wrapping through the wheels?

I have been carrying various cars (mostly 80-90's Volvos) and on several occasions the wife's 2003 crew cab when we needed two trucks for the trip home. On the longer trips, I have always hooking the winch, but the shorter trips I had been leaving the winch tight with a single strap on the front and two on the rear, hence the question.
The straps going through the wheels are custom made. They are 1inch choker straps with a total length of 4feet. The ends are reinforced with a canvas facing for cushioning. There's no twist in the ends so the strap can slip through small openings. Part of the middle of the strap is triple layered so it can handle the sharp edges of the wheels longer. So if you're curious... the WLL for basket is 6400lbs, choker is 3000lbs, and straight pull is 1500lbs. Not bad at all for a 1in wide 4ft strap;Sweet So, in theory, in basket config, the total weight at all four corners is 6k lbs each so the gross vehicle weight the straps can handle is more than most decks on a carrier. Cost? about $20 each...not bad at all;Sweet The "J" hook strap is a custom deal too. That is "sports car" type "J" with a 2in strap sewn in. That is good for 1500lbs.
Don't get me started on the rigging I have for moving stuff like wheeled safes, toolboxes and jet engine cratingcookoocookoocookoo
I am dangerous with a company credit card:D
what kind of transporter are you running?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...what kind of transporter are you running?
I don't have one, I just have a 18' trailer for personal use.

Thanks for the information on the straps and the excellent pictures, I will have to see what the local shop wants for make up similar straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726