Will Donaldson ELF 7405 fit 7.3 idi?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning to use some AutoRx in next oil change and thought switching to a larger filter made sense. I have searched quite a bit to see if people had experience with this filter on the 7.3idi but haven't found much. Will it fit without clearance issues? Judging from some pictures it appears to fit but it looks damn tight. I would hate to cleanup my engine and then have the filter clog and go to bypass operation. I have been using the NapaGold on 2500-3000 with dino 15-40. If the ELF7405 is not recommended then does anyone know much about the Wix 51734XE?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix filters are good. That’s all I know about them lol. I’ve used Auto-rx in the past with so so results. You have to give it time, lots of time. And it still might not work as well as other additives. Auto-rx made a slight difference in my idi, and no difference in my Yj. Not to mention it costs a fortune.
Marvel mystery oil takes the cake. Started seeing noticeable differences with a sticky valve in my yj after about 30 minutes of adding it. Symptoms are gone now so I’m sold on it. Now I use it in all my vehicles and toys. Both in the gas and oil.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Just use a filter made for the power stroke 7.3s equivalent to the FL1995 style one.

I personally use the Mobil 1 version I think it’s M1-601

I ran the autorx in my truck, you aren’t gonna be knocking loose tons of gunk in one shot, it’s designed to slowly eat away at the gunk, so I highly doubt you will clog a filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did search here but found nothing conclusive. One member appeared to need the angle grinder and I don't want to go that route. I guess I was needlessly concerned that the AutoRx would knock a bunch of junk loose. Thanks for the replies.

I don't expect the AutoRx to work wonders but am just curious to see what happens--if anything.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you have a d60 up front, it should fit.
Imo, the stuff just being knocked off in chunks is an old wifes tale that needs to die off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your 2wd you’ll need to clearance the beam mount bracket

Yeah, I saw the pics of what you had to do. I'm not quite ready to attack my truck with the angle grinder, but I'm gettin' there. In the past I thought I knew what I was doing and occasionally got in over my head, but now I know what I don't know and know better. Cheers :cheers:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the pics of what you had to do. I'm not quite ready to attack my truck with the angle grinder, but I'm gettin' there. In the past I thought I knew what I was doing and occasionally got in over my head, but now I know what I don't know and know better. Cheers :cheers:

Use a FL1995 psd oil filter on your truck if you want a larger filtration capacity. Fits right in without having to hack your truck to pieces.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understandable. You really don’t remove much and that mount is plenty strong to compensate for what’s removed.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I found on my dana 50 is you would have to remove WAY more than a 2wd so I stopped, went down and got a fl1995. I have 2 elf7405’s I’d give away if you want to come pick them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look up remote mount filter you'll see a thread with how I did this on my 7.3 without cutting the frame or anything. And while it's useful now that I completed it I don't know that I would ever do it again. I had to pay 40$ for an adapter to thread on to the block, which didn't work cause the threads were too long on the oil filter mount. I had to get a giant o ring that was thicker to make that stop leaking. I had to pay over 170$ for a 1 1/6 oil filter base adapter and 40$ for hoses to go to this mount. Then I had to mount it on the frame rail cause it was so freaking heavy and the hoses can't have 90* bends or they will restrict flow.

After all of this, and my bypass filter system my 7.3 holds 18 quarts of oil roughly (17.5 ish) and I ran it 8000 miles and still had blackstone tell me it was ok. Even saying I go 9000, in comparison to 11 quarts and a FL1995 price wise after 9000 miles vs buying 1 elf7405 and 18 quarts of oil.. I think I save 20$ per 3000 miles I had it figured out to be. Which with the over 250$ I spent on the system means I'd have to go about 30k miles to start making money back..

So it does work.. and can save money.. but probably isn't worth it. If you want better filtration, better than the FL1995 but don't want all of this gripe either install a bypass filter system or my preference and what I'm doing on my 6.9 is use a Fleetgaurd LF3974 filter. 25$ here https://puredieselpower.com/ford/94...-fleetguard-lf3974-stratapore-oil-filter.html and its an advanced "stratapore" filter which at least in my first oil sample I sent to blackstone at 5000 miles was still "ok" and it's a direct fit only like half an inch bigger than a fl1995.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered up a Donaldson DBL 7405(They no longer call it ELF 7405), and YES you do need to grind out a bit of the crossmember but it wasn't that bad. Sure bolt on stuff is nice but now my truck is that much more my truck. The 7405 sure is a big ol' expletive deleted filter--sucker holds nearly 4 quarts of oil. I'm sure most people will be happy enough just running the Powerstroke filter but I did this not for the practicality of it but more for the fun of it. Plus it was nice to use my angle grinder for something besides cutting flagstone--I like sparks much more than rock dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online