What's this rig worth?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
1985 Chev C-30, crewcab dually 2wd. 54k(probly 154), 454, 4-speed, p/w, p/l, air, tilt, AM/FM cass. NO cruise. US Gear overdrive.

Interior is super clean, except a few cig burns. Headliner drooping a little, dash cracked(as usual). Paint looks awesome, with minimal rust stains(not holes) showing at a couple of the rocker seams, and nice graphics package. Near new tires, stainless simi's on stock steel wheels. Lund visor and rear cab fairing(bed mount type). Chrome rect. tube bed rails. In bed aux fuel tank with toolboxes. CB in overhead console, and wired for small rear seat overhead TV(included).

Starts excellent, runs smooth and strong, although the O/D seems to be stuck in overdrive. Could be as simple as re-booting the shift module, or as deep as shift motor/harness. I was told it worked when he bought it, but stopped shifting on the way home. He didn't try to work on it.

Engine has a few normal leaks, as well as factory oil cooler lines leaking slightly. Trans shift nice, and feels good, with no noticeable gear noises.

A/C needs to be checked out, maybe just recharged. Didn't work when he got it this spring.

It runs out nicely down the highway, with no unusual noises, vibrations, or excessive pulling. Stops straight as a string. Other than taking a mile to turn around, it drives good around town, with no funny stuff on our brick streets, either.

I know the guy personally. He told me he bought it to resell, and make some $$$ to get the motor built, for his 72 Elco. He told me about all the problems, upfront, and I have no reason to think he's hiding anything. He also told me the previous owner used it to pull his race car.

Any opinions? (besides telling me to buy a Ferd, or Cummins :backoff )

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chev's of that vintage don't go for much money in CA. dunno about the USG but a GV set me back $700 on a rebuild from GV. Driver managed to snap the input shaft. If the USG has no oil in it, its going to be junk. I'd check first to make sure that its the shift motor that's burned out. with no pics, i'd lean at 2k-3k for the truck if you're really hot for it. Motor alone is worth 700 on the open market. And no I'm not gonna steer you towards a ferd or a derge. Chev 1ton CC's are a good truck.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Drove it again today, and got it over the pit, to check out the O/D troubles. By the by, it turns out that it's not a USG, but a Doug Nash DNE2. I must have missed the small print in the middle of the emblem, when I was reading the big letters that said "Dual Range".

Chased power down to the side cover. So far so good. Pulled the side cover and hot wired the motor. Runs fine both ways....funny, eh? Remove the motor wires from the inside of the cover, off of the limit switch. After a little brake clean, I noticed that the contact spring was bent and flipped off the high side limit contact. Straightened the spring, and viola, works perfectly. Does shift a little harsh, IMHO. Sort of like a truck 2-speed axle, very positive, to the point of being abrupt. Will take some getting used to. Not bad, if you bump the clutch to shift, but still makes a pretty good clunk, when it shifts.

I think I'm going to bring this one home, to pull the camper, and for road trips, with more than 2 people. Maybe it will get me motivated towards building a rollback trailer, and selling the ramp truck.

I must have big block fever. Everything looks better with a rat under the hood. :D

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well, boys, I done went and done it. Took delivery this evening, after work.

Posted a few pics in the garage.

BTW, Towcat, you were right onthe $$. Cost me $2500.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. 85 was my fave year in the old body Chevy's. I think you scored a decent deal there. I sold my 79 4x4 stepside that was totally hailed out for 2K just 3 months ago.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
one of these days i'm going to buy an old chevy like that and put it in the weeds... something about a lowered dually of that year looks good to me

nice truck

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my area here in missouri, a truck like that runs abouts 1500 bucks..2500 for a 4X4