What Sealant for the WATER PUMP?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to seal the Water Pump to the Front Cover?
I'm old school and would use either use the Gasket with a light coat of Spray Copper Coat or the Gasket with Grease.
What Works Best? Permatex, Hylomar, Copper Coat, 3M Weatherstrip Cement???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aviation permatex for me on 90% on my paper gasket materials.
copper coat or hylomar on steel shim gaskets.
RTV gray on rtv only applications.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a thin coat of black permatex silicone on both sides of the gasket and on the bolts that go into oil bath.

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I used to be totally old school too until I went to a seminar and saw all the gasket products...one stood out among them all, Ultra Grey by permatex. So, these days, I use a thin coat on either side of the gasket and install away. I've used it on feed horns for the old C-band satellites and we just took a set of feedhorns apart that had to be 20 years old, about had to break the aluminum housings as it was stuck together so well, even after constant exposure to the elements for that long.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like permatex copper plus high temp rtv. It has never leaked. I use it for the oil pan instead of a gasket and the intake manifolds ends on any V8 motor. Never leaks... All the above are good choices too....

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FSM said to use RTV on the four through bolts, so, not being willing to find out what happens when you mix sealants, I did a thin coat of Grey RTV on the gasket as well. When I torqued the WP and it spit the gasket out in two spots. One spot leaked. I was shying away from Permatex Aviation sealant because of how long it took me to clean up the cover initially and the fact that the cover is embossed to aid sealing so I assumed it needed all the help RTV could offer.
So.... It looks like RTV is the most popular choice on this application. I must admit failure. Can anybody offer any advise on how thin is thin.
Or perhaps whether or not to use the Felpro gasket with the pre-applied pookey on it or just a plain paper one if I can find it?
On the plus side, I fired this 94 7.3 IDIT off this morning for the first time. I never heard it run before tearing it down for overhaul. It seemed to be just fine other than the Water Pump leak and a slight drool from the Oil Pressure Sending Unit. I had taken that out to put a "T" in so I can run my electric gauge as well, and in all the fooling around with "fitting" it I only hand tightened it.
This engine was the first 7.3 I have ever built so it's been a bit of a learning experience. Thanks to all for all the help in the last few months.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Next time use 3M yellow weatherstrip cement on the gasket to water pump side. Then use rtv on the gasket to block seal. Once the gasket is set to the pump it wont move... Ever... Then when the pump fails in the futrue its real easy to remove the pump and throw it away.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Yeah, that Gorilla Snot is a ****** to remove. Four letter words come to mind. I like that idea tho'. I had hoped to rebuild this IH pump when it wears out but that can still be done.
A correction on the one I just installed and am now about to remove... I used the Gray RTV on the pump side and Hylomar on the Timing Cover side for that same "future disassembly " reason. I suppose that could have been my problem. I've never used Hylomar before and it seems like it doesn't set up very fast.
Anybody know of a source for seals and bearings to rebuild one of these pumps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US