What rear end is this

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Im parting out a 83/84 Ford F250 ext long bed. Im turnin the bed into a trailer and have been fighting gettin the rear wheel off. Its got huge lug nuts. They take a 1" socket. Not to mention they are reverse thread. Never seen that before on a Ford. My dad says it might be a D70? What you guys think? My 99 superduty wheels wont bolt up to it either. Of course its got a sterling in it I believe but thought all 3/4 ton axles had the same bolt pattern.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Most of the older 8 lug wheels are 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern. The newer Fords went to a metric bolt pattern. The wheels will not interchange.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Dad is correct. Should be a Dana 70HD with left hand threads on the drivers side.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Most of the older 8 lug wheels are 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern. The newer Fords went to a metric bolt pattern. The wheels will not interchange.

Do you know what yr they went to the metric bolt patterns? Thanks for the reply, it was drivin me crazy not knowing what I had haha. ;Sweet

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Your Dad is correct. Should be a Dana 70HD with left hand threads on the drivers side.

He said that they did that so the nuts wouldnt come loose? How come they did that back then and not now? Kind of a pain if you ask me. Wonder if you can still get these lugs? I messed one up since I was heating the dang thing up tryin to get it off. Of course that was before my dad mentioned it was reverse thread. They came right off after he told me.......ooooops cookoo

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can replace the studs with regular right hand thread ones if you'd like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Staff online