what quality of brake calipers, tie rod ends?

logfarmer

Reaction score
Hi,
My left front caliper is grabbing and my mechanic recomended replacing the calipers. I looked on parts america and there is a large range in price for rebuilt loaded calipers. Do I need the raybestos super stop for $93 or will the $40 ones do from cardone?
Tie rod ends vary also from about $30 to $85 what do i need to spend to get good enough quality.
Thanks,
Martin

83 F250 4x4 diesel reg cab

Last edited:

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out Autozone, I am a store manager up here in traverse city, and it seems like we have some pretty good parts.....Most of the suspension is made by moog and has a lifetime warrenty. I put ball joints, tie rod ends u-joints, springs and anything else that wears out in a front end in my 95 f150 4x4 and it has all held up very well. Just an opinion....Thought I would throw it your way.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Gotta agree. Check with Autozone and other stores in the area. I sold A1/Cardone for years with no major problems, so I wouldn't be afraid of them, matter of fact, that is what I have on mine. Moog is the best there is as far as I am concerned in suspension and steering parts and I would pay the difference for them on one of these trucks.

That being said, there is possibly something other than the caliper bad. Brake hoses tend to break down internally, swelling etc. causing a one way check valve of sorts. When you press the brake pedal, the master cylinder can overcome the swell, but the caliper only returns fluid until the line pressure reaches what the swell can stop. In other words, the swollen line keeps hydraulic pressure on the caliper. Pull the caliper, check to see if you can compress the piston, if it is difficult, loosen the bleeder screw, if the piston moves much easier, you have a bad brake hose. Also, check the slides, they are known to get dirt/corrosion on them, thus stopping the caliper from moving as it should. While you have the caliper off testing the brake hose, clean the slides up, even hit them with a wire brush if necessary and put some brake lube on them, antisieze works as well, just don't get it on the pads/rotor. Just don't want you to install a $40+ caliper to find that wasn't the problem. Just my .02 worth.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with SLE 100% , moog makes the best suspension parts, I have been using them for 20+ years.
I always replace brake hoses when doing calipers, had too many fail right after being disturbed.
I like cardone rebuilt stuff they seem to have the recipe down pat. I like raybestos fleet HD pads on my front end.
I dont remember the exact grade of them but the supposedly top of the line napa oem equivalent is junk, my buddy who has a shop calls them instafade pads:rotflmao
My 2 c
Russ

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Every project I have done to the 86 using AutoZone I had to go back twice to get the right parts and two of the three time had to go to Advanced Auto to get the right parts. The guy from AutoZone had the balls to tell me the reason was because I was working on a Ford

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every project I have done to the 86 using AutoZone I had to go back twice to get the right parts and two of the three time had to go to Advanced Auto to get the right parts. The guy from AutoZone had the balls to tell me the reason was because I was working on a Ford

You must live near me. I have the same problem and their parts are junk. I do sgree with the MOOG, in my opinion, they are the best, but they are twice as expensive

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't discount the possiblilty of using "genuine Ford parts". LOL At least call the dealer and see how much the good stuff will cost you so you can at least feel better about going to Autozone or whoever. Getting them from the dealer may seem novel, but the ability to do so may be for a limited time only.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
had brake problems and went the autozone route to since there brakes seem like good quality overall. I got the loaded calipers that includes both sides pads and hardware for around 120. it also helps i get a discount because i used to work there:D its under the 94 dragging thread. the job actaully went very well with no hiccups on wrong parts or bad quaility at all.;Sweet didnt even have to blead the brakes because i let the parts gravity bleed and fill before i clamp everything tight. The girlfriend really appreciates i can do this so she dousnt have to do the brake pedal pump thing for an hour.

logfarmer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info you all. I will be able to look at the truck this weekend and have a better idea of what to look for.
Martin

PnrFab

Reaction score
i wouldnt use moog, allot of moog stuff has gone down in quality and most if not all is made down in mexico...for tierod ends balljoints etc use Napa HD chassis parts, they are made by dana spicer and are allot nicer of a product ;Sweet

-josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online