what ford should have done!

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
typ4 if you could talk to him about that fresh cat engine i'll appreciate it. You can reach me here or phone 775-224-3902

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,Truth is,teh IHC was a make due engine that stuck.Ford went with the 6.9L since it was already available at the time and was going to totally dump IHC around 89 or so.They were in talks and designing with cat for a perminant engine but someone at Ford decided a cat was a bad idea and stuck with IHC.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
try to find a newer C7 cat...they are factory 300 horse and are the smallest of the C series engines. Try to find a smashed topkick or GMC 6500/8500 truck...they all have the cats in them

Freight_Train

Reaction score
as for me.I will go with a screaming jimmy if I repower anything that had an IDI in it....No splatterpillar for me or Cumapart.Give me a straight piped 8V92T with Jakes!!!(Ok,so it is too big to fit in anything smaller than a peterbilt!)

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really just hate the idea of using a 5.9 cummins or a 6BD1T Isuzu and want to hack a huge engine in there I think the DT466 is by far the best route. Cat makes nothing that impressive in a medium duty size engine. The 3208 is pretty good, a friend has a twin turbod version in an old carryall and gets unbelievable freeway milage along with the power, but he has a lot of work and expense into it.

As for the Jimmys, if you really have a desire to rattle your brains out, fix it constantly, deal with total crap parts and leave a trail of oil wherever you go then one would be a good fit. I do like Jimmys, I worked on 16V149TI's for a few years, but like them because they're stupid simple and run no matter what. Thos 16V's could drop valves in 5 cylinders and you wouldn't know it unless you looked at the cylinder EGT's. I would hate one in a pickup I actually drove though. Your not going to fit more than a 53 series in a pickup chassis. "2-stroke Jimmys are cutting edge 1930's technology engineered to turn diesel fuel into noise as efficiently as possible".

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Yep,But I would like to challenge you to find ANY 4 stroke that runs as smooth as a 2 stroke driptroit,can take the abuse of a detroit,Be as simple as a detroit,and/or have the general longevity......sure,they are noisy,heavy,smog hogs but they last forever,take a beating,and get great fuel mileage when driven correctly with correct gearing.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise/leaks aside, the parts are the biggest reason I'd avoid Jimmys. I've seen lots of guys have nightmare issues with poor quality rebuild and fuel system parts for old Jimmys. I had the same issues ten years ago when I worked on them.

If running right I'll agree on the abuse part 100%. The 16V149's powered 1000KW gens and were regularly fired up from cold iron and fully loaded in 5 seconds. They made it 10-15K hours on an inframe before they'd start using more oil than you could add. Pretty impressive to see an engine that can actually consume 300+ gallons of oil in a 24 hour period. I did have one that was going on 22K hours with no huge repairs, just a dozen heads replaced and a few pistons/liners before it was replaced by a pile of garbage V12 electronic Cat.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
The number one thing that kills a detroit is Emergency shut downs.Actually,DDAs run pretty clean if they are right.But when you go jacking with fuel,do a OH CHIT shut down,etc they go downhill real fast in teh smog hog department.When you gotta ***** them out in case of a runaway you end up sucking seals out of the supercharger and other places then you got a real oilburner.Not to mention,you GOT to have a hell of a radiator.They need to be kept cool or you fry O rings and then you REALLY got a problem.......ever see the aftermath of a injector O ring go bye bye?I did on a 250 cummins......Crank case with 20 gallons of fuel,oil slick that covered 10 acres going across teh road and covered his neighbors house,Enough oil on the ground under the truck to consider the place a superfund site,4000RPM(Through straight pipe!),and god knows what damage inside.Sounded like a steam locomotive highballin after we drained the crank case and fired it back up......

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Averagef250, I can see why you are anti-detroit diesels.
300gallons of oil in a day huh? Seeing as how they only hold 45-50 I find that pretty interesting, you must have had a pipe hooked up pumping LO in all day.

The main propulsion 16v149's we have consume 1.5 gallons of LO each per day, our 4-71 generators consume .5 gallons of lube oil when run for a straight week (160+ hours). But we also notice when five heads are burned on an engine.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I wonder what kinda highway fuel economy that would get? Shame he didn't say what rear end gearing it has...

-Drool

With needed wheelie bars and the stock motor for front balast, who cares Tim.:love:

That thing can flat plain get it.

Yeah, they did leave the gearing out.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online