Well bought one finally!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Navistar casts the new blocks for AM General(the hummer people). I think that's the extent of the affiliation. Penisular diesel makes a twin turbo 400 hp package...

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Well with sitting down and thinking last night I have made a few Idea changes on trucks! I'm taking the old 86 we have and restoring it! It will get new sheet metal, bed and a new power plant. She will also recieve a new manual tranny! Do you know if the new six speed will bolt up to the 6.5 or not?

What do you think of Pennsular's twin set? Think your single setup would work just as well? Did you have to do any extreme mods to get the turbo to fit or was it pretty much a bolt on thing? I'm just looking for something different and pretty powerful! My truck now only put down 194RWHP stock and I love the power it has for a daily driver!

The other question I have is does anyone make a clutch for these trucks or not to hold that much power? Do you think your motor could have been leaking off coolant causing you to run such high water temps? Did it have the low compression pistons in it when it was doing this? Last question for now is what type of boost were you seeing and with what compression ratio? Just doing as much research as I can before I start this thing!

Andy

Attachments

• 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 6

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
dazedandconfused said:
Well with sitting down and thinking last night I have made a few Idea changes on trucks! I'm taking the old 86 we have and restoring it! It will get new sheet metal, bed and a new power plant. She will also recieve a new manual tranny! Do you know if the new six speed will bolt up to the 6.5 or not?

What do you think of Pennsular's twin set? Think your single setup would work just as well? Did you have to do any extreme mods to get the turbo to fit or was it pretty much a bolt on thing? I'm just looking for something different and pretty powerful! My truck now only put down 194RWHP stock and I love the power it has for a daily driver!

The other question I have is does anyone make a clutch for these trucks or not to hold that much power? Do you think your motor could have been leaking off coolant causing you to run such high water temps? Did it have the low compression pistons in it when it was doing this? Last question for now is what type of boost were you seeing and with what compression ratio? Just doing as much research as I can before I start this thing!

Andy

I've never heard any first hand info on their twin setup, and don't have any personaly experience so I can't really say. I can say that the Holset's I've used are more or less a bolt on mod. The only changes I made were an adapter for the oil feed line and the down pipe. I know for a fact that my motor was always full of a 50/50 mix of coolant, so that wasn't the problem for my high temps. Some have said that I just haul to much... It got hot with low compression and without. I limited myself to around 24psi pre intercooler boost pressure. I could have seen higher if I would have let it. This was low compression and high. I do beleive that all chevys from the begining of time to present use the same bell housing pattern, so the new ones should bolt up to a 6.5.

Justin

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Once agian Justin thanks for all the help. I will be planning on adding the new ZF6 behind it! This will be mainly a play truck that will occasionsally see about 7000 pounds behind it!

I will keep you informed on my progress, please keep me informed of yours!

Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Andy, Sounds like quite a project for sure. I hope it works out well for you and hope to heard of good progress. As for myself I just got my block down to the machine shop and every thing should be done by Fri so I can put it all together this weekend.

Justin

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
This is going to be a long term project for me! I have acess to 3 6.5s sitting out of trucks right now! Two of them I know need headgaskets! Its all a matter of time and money! Like to sell the Dodge and just focus on this project!

Hope yours goes together nicely! Do you have any pics of your truck/engine? Try and take some of the rebuild if you can please! You having it O-ringed? I wonder who we could have make headgaskets if we O-ringed them?

Andy

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I got my block back today, I'll have the rest of my parts Fri. No o-rings for me, not enough $$. I've heard that in many applications the stock gasket can be used, if the stock fire ring is cut out of it. I'll try and take some pics as I go for ya.

Justin

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
They're lower than stock, but higher than 18:1. Around 19.5-20:1... Hopefully tommorrow...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunatelly... You pretty much have to take off the intake manifold. Then you can get at the screws that hold it to the IP pretty easily. After the intake is off it is very self explanitory. Did it fail on you or are you just relocating?

I didn't get any pics for you of the build up of my engine. I could get you a ton of all the parts I've got that equal an engine... Was in a hurry to get it done, put engine together Fri night, spent Sat. test driving a Dmax, installed engine Sun, and have been driving it since. New pickup was supposed to be delivered tonight, but I haven't heard from the guy, so i'm sure it will be tommorrow...

Justin

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Well that is good you got it running! The PMD failed on my truck so I just unpluged it and put another one on the cover that says 6.5!

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online