Welding Trailer(Best way to mount welder)

89_12valve

The Nightmare
Reaction score
Hello all... I acquired an enclosed trailer(wood floors with beams) to haul my welder in. Its a Lincoln Weldanpower 225 with Wire Feeder, Converter Box, and Hi Freq box... I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to safely mount the welder and the other 3 boxes to the trailer safely. I was thinking of raising the welder around 6 inches so that way service would be easier and maybe aid in cooling. Thanks for any input.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
How big is the trailer?
May be good to put them on rollers so you can roll them out for better reach/access.
And just strap them in, or make a little locking contraption.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

89_12valve

The Nightmare
Reaction score
How big is the trailer?
May be good to put them on rollers so you can roll them out for better reach/access.
And just strap them in, or make a little locking contraption.

Its around 13 feet... Im going to have an air compressor up front, welder in the middle, and a manual tire changer in the back... It will be like a service call trailer(alot of citrus/trucking down my way) I was thinking of getting some eyelets that screw into the wood and use a ratchet strap, but I wasnt sure if they would have the tensile strength to hold up to continuous 400 pounds trying to slide around. I was also looking for ideas on how/what to use to make a little raised platform for it to sit on, then secure it to the trailer.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are common, Harbour Freight may even have them. We used those on our big demountable box trucks and semi trailers when I worked for a theatrical supply company, they'll hold up to whatever you strap to them. They have BIG ratchet straps that instead of hooks, have a little piece that locks into the holes in those channels.

89_12valve

The Nightmare
Reaction score
Those are common, Harbour Freight may even have them. We used those on our big demountable box trucks and semi trailers when I worked for a theatrical supply company, they'll hold up to whatever you strap to them. They have BIG ratchet straps that instead of hooks, have a little piece that locks into the holes in those channels.
I will have to use them on the floor. My walls are a sort of composite board with wood beams... But being on the floor should still be secure enough with a ratchet strap. I will just raise my welder about 6 inches so oil changes and maintenance will be easier.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The ones pictured were from a Google search. "Enclosed trailer hook rail." Some website.
I'm sure northern tool has them, along with harbor freight. Or even a trailer store near you.

gandalf

Reaction score
Do you know where he got them from or can I get those at any hardware store?

Those particular strap rails are called 'E Track'. They work quite well holding a load when used correctly. You'll want 3 inch heavy duty web straps with them. I've seen them almost collapse the side walls of a trailer when not set correctly.

You're going to mount the railing on the floor? Be sure to mount it to more than just the floor planking. Also, keeping then clean, keeping dirt and crap out of them might be challenging.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are located, but if you have a trailer full of equipment here, you better bolt everything down and weld the bolt heads to slow down the thieves, plus make a place for your guard dog. Every week here, equipment trailers "go missing" along with all the tools of your trade.

Common practice is to build a steel cage around everything. Might want to think about that aspect of having several hundred dollars worth of equipment setting on wheels, unlocked.

"Trust everyone.... but always cut the cards"