Water-**** Injection in a 6.9l idi

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the kit I am running: http://ktperformance.net/i-6683801-coolingmist-stage-i-diesel.html

Its a bit over $250. ($284)

They were good to work with- I called and asked for a smaller nozzle size than what it comes with standard; they swapped it out with no charges or problems.
Thanks forth link oncorb.
I've been looking into the possibility of water **** on my rig. And the price is awfully appeling on that setup versus snows setup.

What psi did you have yours set to come on?

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it looks like cooling mist got rid of there 150psi pump all the they have is the 250 psi and that was the price for that kit when i got mine

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Whichever one comes with it I suppose, didn't give me an option. I figure a turbo idi is rated at 190 hp... So I rounded up and chose the 200-300 hp kit...if that makes a difference

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
wheres the best place to put the injection nozzle? i know its a bad idea before the turbo because the water hitting the turbines can damage it.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
wheres the best place to put the injection nozzle? i know its a bad idea before the turbo because the water hitting the turbines can damage it.

Right into the "snail" or as close to the intake as you can get it.

I chose to put the shut-off solenoid as close to the nozzle as possible to prevent any chance of siphoning which could result in hydrolocking and damaging your motor.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
tks, any perticular direction it should spray?

I set mine up to spray at 90 degrees to the flow of air in the hopes that it would get the best distribution across the motor that way. Mine uses one of Russ' (type4) elbows for the intercooler, so it was pretty easy.

Looking at my old snail I think I would drill it right below where the turbo to snail o-ring seal is and direct it across the flow at 90 degrees, putting the fittings on the drivers side of the whole thing if you have room. Should get a good swirl right there. My '57 will be getting **** and it has the snail, so I have given it some thought. Didn't want to put it on the top and have it just spray straight down, although I suspect it would be ok.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been considering using a water injection system for quite some time but have been worried about cylinder rust or ring rust or decay ... has anyone got any answers regarding this .. or does just cooling down the engine w/o the water on get rid of it good enough to avoid this issue ... also what kind of fuel economy gains could be expected by using a kit like these ... and it is my understanding that the only reason for the alcohol was to keep it from freezing in the winter and that it isnt nessacery during warmer months or in warmer climates ... I will appreciate your thoughts on these questions ... thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance