wait to start

dixie_stud69

Reaction score
anyone know where to buy the wait to start light cluster all other lights work except wait to start an ford dealership wants $412.00 lil out of my budget plz help

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Edit your sig to show the details about your rig, cus at this point I dont know if you want a cluster for a 83-86 87-90 or 91-94. FWIW I have taken one apart before and disconnected the WTS light because I have manual controllers on my trucks so that light stays on all the time.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that for an 83-86 you have to replace the whole gauge cluster but the 87 and later trucks you can just replace the lamp bulb. Mine doesn't work either, and I was just thinking about adding a standalone LED or light bulb that has juice when and only when the glow plugs have juice just like the lamp on the 83-86.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Edit your sig to show the details about your rig, cus at this point I dont know if you want a cluster for a 83-86 87-90 or 91-94. FWIW I have taken one apart before and disconnected the WTS light because I have manual controllers on my trucks so that light stays on all the time.
what year you need? I've got one out of 88' we can work a deal?;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that for an 83-86 you have to replace the whole gauge cluster but the 87 and later trucks you can just replace the lamp bulb. Mine doesn't work either, and I was just thinking about adding a standalone LED or light bulb that has juice when and only when the glow plugs have juice just like the lamp on the 83-86.

Not entirely correct - I swapped Jake's '86 F250's WTS with a junkyard unit that was in better shape, all it took was two screws and the light fixture came off the rest of the cluster - bolt the "new" one in place of the old one, then just plug the harness in. Also, the '83-'86 light does indeed only glow when there's juice actually flowing through the glowplugs, it's the solid-state system that has the controller working the WTS light, but that's a stupid-easy fix too.

dixie_stud69

Reaction score
sorry fellows my truck is the last of a the dying breed its a 94 an rite now its in the shop gettin a rebuilt tranny an all this cold weather in ky i would feel safer with that light

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford must be trying to put there economic turn around on your shoulders. I only paid $350 for an entire instrument cluster, rebuilt with the odo reset to my correct numbers.
I think it is just a bulb in the 94 cluster, but others may know for sure.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe with the later ones you can simply replace the lamp assy. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody. Ivan I thought about the junkyard swap possibility. You make it sound like it wasn't very hard, in that case it might be worth it. I kinda hate taking pieces of the dash off on these old trucks though, I worry that things might not go back together right.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with a different Ford dealer. That price sounds out of line completely.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD, the '86-back warning light mini-cluster is held to the dashboard front panel with two screws, my '90 IIRC uses clips instead of these screws. The '92-up clusters I have no idea about, I saw a '93 once half taken apart, but honestly never paid attention to the details, as I really do not like these dashboards much.

bigguy22

bigguy22
Reaction score
Hey their haven't had my apart in awhile but I believe it sould be just bulb in the back of the cluster. Or your printed circuit is bad thats the plastic piece on the back of the cluster with the copper going across it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online