valve cover removal

zpd307

Reaction score
the truck needs glow plugs and i was looking at what it takes to get the valve covers off. the driver side seems straight forward, but the passenger side, on the other hand, looks to be a pita. it loooks as though i would have to mess with the a/c pum and bracket. can anyone confirm what it takes to remove the passenger side valve cover.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the intercooler tubes off if you have them then remove the cover.no need to mess with the a/c system,pump or brackets

mudxtc

Reaction score
are you doing this on the 99? I am going to have to do mine soon..... Can you post some pics of the process? I would really like to see how to do this.

thanks

zpd307

Reaction score
thats a big 10-4. are you looking for write up quality? there are some write ups with pics floating around, but none addressed the valve cover. i looked and couldnt even see the front valve cover bolts. so i started to crap myself just thinking about having to dismantle the a/c to put in gp's. ideally i should put in new injectors with everything apart, but that aint happening soon.... we will see what my time line is for this week. i might have to push it back until the next week.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a PAIN... I seem to recall doing some of the bolts on the pass side through the inner fender on my old 00. Once you get the intercooler piping out of the way though, it isn't too bad, just be prepared with patience, and be ready to work by feel with a 1/4 drive ratchet on the rearmost ones.

zpd307

Reaction score
thanks, i figured as such. though, putting the turbo on the 90 gave me plenty of practice with patience and blind finger work.......

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The first set of injectors I did was on my 03 SD. There wasn't any trouble getting the VC off. You just need to wiggle it around to get it out of the engine bay once it's off.

mudxtc

Reaction score
ZPD, I was just wanting to see what is involved. You don't have to do "write-up" quality,,,,,,,unless you want to :)

zpd307

Reaction score
all righty, it is going to be next week sometime, on my next set of days off. we will see how my time looks to see i take it....

mudxtc

Reaction score
ZPD, thanks! I am going to attempt to do my 99's glowplugs sometime in the next few weeks, anything you can provide will be appreciated!

sethc24

Reaction score
The bottom 2 bolts on the passenger side are annoying. Specially with the ********* A/c box in the way. I found if u take a wrench with the appropriate size socket and get your arm underneath the edge of the black box u can work the socket onto the bolts one at a time. Its painful but it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin