utility body weight?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Anybody have any guesses as to how much my Reading bed weighs? I would like to lift it to access the fuel tanks and to do some rust repair on it but my guess is it weighs a lot and will require a crane to remove. The truck itself weighs just over 7000 lbs with the bed empty and the tool boxes full. Also how hard is it to remove it as far as unbolting it and such?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scrapped the utility bed off of my F450 and it weighed in at 1950 lbs. Rust included.

I lifted it at the back with a forklift, shoved a couple 4x4 blocks under the back edge then carefully slid the forks under the box and threw a chain around the front then hooked the chain to the forklift uprights. Gave a small lift then tilted the forks back as far as they would go and it lifted the box off the frame rails. Drove the truck out from under it and backed the trailer under it to go to the scrap yard.... took about 15 minutes.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Just as I thought. I do have some tie down hooks that my buddy welded to the bed. I wonder If those are strong enough to lift it.

Is it legal to drive around without a bed on? I know I would need to african engineer the brake lights.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it's legal where you are.. But I have before.. Just baling wired my tail light housings to my bumper.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, depends on where u are. u will need to mount the lights, mudflaps, and secure the fuel necks.

btw, carpet samples work great when screwed to a 2x4 for temperary mudflaps.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
12-1500 lbs with the racks sounds about right. 1/2 inch eye bolts in all four corners should be enough. No large tree branch and a come-along? Lights and flaps should fend off the law for a bit as mentioned. Good luck.

DragRag

Reaction score
The F450 bed would be longer and wider. I think he is talking single wheel 8' bed. I still think you are looking at 1200ish. I have pulled more then one myself.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ok let me ask this. Where is the best place to get chain/snatch blocks/come-alongs? Ive been meaning to get some for awhile now but dont know really what all I need.