useing oil

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Ive noticed that my truck uses some oil, to the tune of a quart every fill up. I talked to the PO, that was a problem since he owed the truck. He also told me he had 4 new injectors installed and the turbo rebuilt. After he spent close to $5000 and still useing oil, what/where else could be eating it up?

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Smoke: just a little blue smoke on start up. Very little drip.What should my fuel filter look like?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If the fuel is black there is oil returning to the fuel tank. This is caused by leaking o rings. I have also seen where the injector itself will pass oil internally and it will get injected with the fuel and not smoke @ all.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Well, I just inspected the fuel filter. It looks and smells of dirty motor oil. How nasty of a job is it to replace the injector O rings? Will all that crap have to come out of the fuel tanks with fresh diesel? Yuck...

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I've never needed to do my o-rings.

Will all that crap have to come out of the fuel tanks with fresh diesel? Yuck...

Think about it...some run WMO blended with #2 on purpose. cookoo :D Drain the contaminated tank and filter it to 10 microns or less and reuse it a few gallons per tankful. At over $4 per gallon that's what I'd do. ;Sweet

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
I've never needed to do my o-rings.

Think about it...some run WMO blended with #2 on purpose. cookoo :D Drain the contaminated tank and filter it to 10 microns or less and reuse it a few gallons per tankful. At over $4 per gallon that's what I'd do. ;Sweet

I dunno much about WMO or what it is. I Know what B99.9,B20 and pump diesel are. If I run regular pump diesel, do I have to clean out the tanks and fuel lines? Or can I let the fuel clean it out?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
WMO is waste motor oil. That's what you've been burning with your diesel since your fuel is black. My point was that some intentionally blend in WMO to add lubricity to diesel since the new ULSD has less lubrication than the old formula.
After you replace the o-rings the fuel contamination will stop. Running the black fuel obviously works so cleaning the tank is your choice. Why not drain it then fill with some biodiesel or if not available with some kerosene. These two fuels are known to be solvents in cleaning out fuel systems. If you don't clean or drain the tank be prepared for a few filter changes before your system is clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online