Two IDIs at auction, 16K and 4K miles!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Selling at auction on Sept 26, 2014,

Two Ford ambulances, 1991 and 1989, with 7.3L diesel engines.

One has 16K miles, and the other has 4k miles.

They make great service trucks, and the higher gross weight makes them exempt from emissions testing in several states.

http://auctionsouthwest.hibid.com/l...ne-e350-ambulance---4-148-miles?tab=0&cpage=2

http://auctionsouthwest.hibid.com/l...e-e350-ambulance---16-009-miles?tab=0&cpage=2

Of course there is a little travel involved...

Playas, NM, a deserted govt training base.

While this auction company usually allows online and real-time internet bidding, most of those bids lose out to people who attend the auction in person.

sorry i couldn't get the web pages to show up. Maybe someone else can.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want the backstory on the first vehicle. really curious the reason on the "red crescent" painted on the backside.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I want the backstory on the first vehicle. really curious the reason on the "red crescent" painted on the backside.

probably because they are located so close to the mexican border, where illegals from all over the world enter the USA. Many middle eastern countries use the red crescent instead of the red cross as a symbol of medical aid.

or,

it may be part of the training conducted at the base, to help simulate a middle eastern environment.

Looks like someone has already crudely removed many of the ambulance markings.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a rather crude depiction, but maybe it's supposed to be a Red Crescent symbol? ...although you'd think they would also have a Red Cross symbol... :dunno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emblems_of_the_International_Red_Cross_and_Red_Crescent_Movement
you're getting somewhere there :D there will never be red cross and a red crescent symbol on the same vehicle due to offending the mooslims in the middle east. now the next question on why the hell is that vehicle here begs the question. hint....hamas isn't the only country that has run a clandestine operation in a "red cross/crescent" painted vehicle. :D

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The crescent was probably used to give the exercises more reality. The troops should not expect to see a red cross if they are in trouble in the mideast, but the red crescent is the acceptable replacement. I am not sure if Int'l Red Cross runs the Red Crescent operations also, but does cooperate in support.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hamas is a country? :dunno Who knew?.... ;)

Buddy of mine down the street had an ecnalubma like these; '91 IIRC. Same stripe pattern, light setup, etc. His still had "Federal Bureau of Prisons" logos on it. Used it to haul band equipment.

Will def. be interesting to see how these bid out.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I've been to at least a hundred of these type auctions.

because of the remote location, and their age, and appearance, and so few people know about IDIs, I'll bet they sell between $500 and $750 each.

Of course, that is assuming their aren't a bunch of IDI guys all trying to oubid each other.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet they sell between $500 and $750 each.

And thats probably what/if not more than what their worth. They look like gunnery sight practice props. They do that with all of the junk that doesnt run and has been scrapped past the point of feasible return here. They get re-painted, drug out into the desert and used for ranging sighting targets. Thats probably why you can see dirt lines and paint on the sidewall of the tire on the second one.