Turning a 7.3 idi 6.9

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my 7.3 but I just wondering 7.3 has a high cavity issue. And the 6.9 don't but it has weak head bolts and rocks. OK so I guess my question is has any one try to sleeve a block to stop cavities by Turing it into a 6.9 or got hard sleeves for a 7.3.

I'm just tossing the idea around because I know in my 60 series detroit I can pull the sleeves if bad. I do understand that 7.3 you can't pull the sleeves but maybe you can stick some in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are worrying about something that is never going to happen. Sure it happens, but is pretty rare. I have only seen it posted a couple of times on this board.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your concerned with cavitation on a 7.3 idi, build a 6.9 with ARP studs and updated rockers and save yourself 5k with your idea.
What your trying to do is not cost effective nor has anyone done that as far as I know.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I am worried but could be just don't know it.

Now I do like make engine better longer lasting ect. Like I have also thought about gapless rings in a idi or any diesel could be better.

Some of my ideas if I had a machine shop and didn't have to worry about money I would try anything that sounded like it could work.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a post on an IDI Facebook page about someone making the ring gap smaller. any major benefit to that?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in theory having gapless rings give you 3 to 5% more power over all in gas burners.

Like if you had a 9 to 1 it would feel closer to 9.5 to 1 so it feel like it has more pep. But yet again that's gas burners.

Gapless rings have two ring on the first landing so it's a total seal or 75% more seal.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too tight of a ring gap will pop the tops off Pistons. Ask me how I found that out.

I file them bigger now. I'd rather lose 1 or 2 horse power or use a little oil over building an engine twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its the same tightness as a regular just two of them. I understand you never take an oversized ring and file them down to fit.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the 7.3 cavitating; pretty sure that if it hasn't happened by now(usually 100-180K seems to be typical), it's not likely to.
I'm thinking it wasn't just cavitating, but that combined with casting flaws making some blocks more prone than others.

If it *does* cavitate, a good machine shop can bore and sleeve just the one cylinder that's leaking(and should be able to check the others for imminent failure).

6.9 would be a really interesting platform with some bigger bolts to take care of the head gasket problem. I'm still looking at someday building a tool for drilling up a 6.9 block to take 9/16 grade 10 socket head cap screws. They should be far stronger than 1/2" ARP studs, at a fraction of the cost.
The problem is that re-drilling and tapping the block is a pain, and requires special tools to do. To my knowledge, nobody has successfully done it, though one guy got close.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when that cast it they don't leave much room for bigger bolts but the only way that it could ever be done is a block cnc machine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you priced getting a sleeve done?
the last time I checked it was something like 100 bucks a hole plus sleeve.
that was just to install sleeves.
then you gotta bore & hone it.
gets real expensive, and not worth it
unless you have a real sought after engine.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah can get expensive and it would make since if it's was matching number truck or an engine that was around a short time.

They can make a racing sleeves for a 7.3 and that was crazy expensive. They do make an sleeve with oring cut into it.

I'm not going to do sleeves unless it's only two maybe 3 holes are bad.

Also got a hole of a head manufacturer they said it could take 2 years to design, make, and test a 7.3idi useing direct injection. They didn't tell me a price probably more than I can afford.

I do love my idi can't say anything bad about it just that power output are low.

I think it would be cool to make a 7.3idi into a direct injected better intake, lower compression, with higher boost.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most likely will be cheaper to mechanically inject a powerstroke

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been done a couple of times. Last to do it was Eric Sutton. Not been on here for a couple of years. He sleeved his 7.3 to a 6.9, studs, hypermax c-rings. Very interesting build. Not sure what happened to him or his rig.

Will look for the old post.....

Heath

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's probably true I think it's 11k for the kit but why stop there could go comon rail on the powerstroke there is a guy that has already done it useing the idm from the 7.3