Turbo setup ideas/

71 Highboy

Reaction score
I found an error in the paper work. It says "because a turbo system pumps more air and fuel into an engine". A turbo only puts more air into the engine, something else must change in order for more fuel to go through the same engine. Not that it affects anything, but it's just a little bit strange to me to see this coming out of a company that designs and sells (or sold) turbo kits.

I saw that also. I assumed they were speaking in general terms to both gas and diesel engines, because of the entire context of the ad. The complete instructions describe in detail how to turn the pump up for this diesel application. They sold kits for carbureted cars as there was very few fuel injection systems at the time in the gasoline engines. Bosch electro mechanical was preferred, and worked well with a blow thru system, like these are. Good catch though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You still had to mod the carb in order to have more gas flow through it though. That or put a bigger one on.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were you trying to say K&N? If so, no air filter out there will affect the amount of fuel that goes into an engine. It will only affect the amount of air that can go into it.
I know! I was commenting that in their pamphlet they also have K&M as a filter and was joking that was the way they get the fuel in there.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
You still had to mod the carb in order to have more gas flow through it though. That or put a bigger one on.

Yes, mods to the carb on a blow thru system, like diesels are a blow thru system, are necessary, or it will blow fuel out every vent hole in the casting going to atmosphere pressure. However, a suck thru system does not require modification and will pressurize both fuel and air into a gas engine, and yes, usually bigger jets or more cfm capability of the carb is required. That's what the ad is speaking to in general terms. A "turbo system" is more that the one component of the turbo itself, but rather a group of components designed to get both fuel and air increases to the intake tract.

Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax Pulse is dyno designed around 7.3 IDI and they have crunched all the numbers and ship a complete system in three boxes. T4, intercooler and 3” exhaust.

Started the install this morning.
I’ve been looking at this exact kit starting 3 days ago. It’s pricey, but I think the headache that you save yourself by buying a complete kit is worth it. I Think of it as a convenience fee - the less time that my truck is down the better.

I don’t want to forget an important kit component like a bracket for fastener and have to wait for it to show up.