tranny question guys....

smokincummins22

Reaction score
got a 94' 12v 4wd with 260,000mi on it
just rebuilt everything and were lookin to bolt another tranny into it we are thinking a allison HT740 serial number 2510221410 dont know much about these transmissions.
what would i have to change for the 4wd and how big of a deal is this also is there a better way to go, i have already put a ats in my 99' and thats just too much money when i know a big truck tranny would work.
thanks in advance
Ryan Barker

jwc-performance

JWC PERFORMANCE
Reaction score
You need to call advanced adpters and ask them if they make a transfercase adpter to join that trans to that transfercase depending on how much bigger or smaller the new trans is you may have to shorten or get a longer drive shaft made then the only other thing is to mount the trans
(If that trans is a manual shift you need to get the right clutch and flywheel and linkage to match the trans and engine )
(If its an auto trans you need to find out if it has a trans control module if it dose you will need that and the wiring harness and a wiring diagram to find out how to make it all work plus the right torque convertor and flex plate )
then its a matter of making it all work and its going to be a lot of work to make it all work

smokincummins22

Reaction score
i have the "blank" adaptors to where i can put any bolt pattern in them, im either wanting to do a auto like the allison, or maybe somthing like a 10spd out of a old 6x6 or somthing
thanks guys

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to find an SAE bellhousing/adaptors from medium duty trucks for these engines in truck salvage yards if you're wanting to run Allison automatics, 10 speeds and such.

Probably be a lot cheaper than having a custom adaptor made.

roamaround

Reaction score
something to consider is I believe the transfer case will be the weakest link in your quest for a stronger tranny. No matter how strong the tranny is I dont believe there is much you can do to a chain drive transfer case for more strength.

hendo

Reaction score
got a 94' 12v 4wd with 260,000mi on it
just rebuilt everything and were lookin to bolt another tranny into it we are thinking a allison HT740 serial number 2510221410 dont know much about these transmissions.
what would i have to change for the 4wd and how big of a deal is this also is there a better way to go, i have already put a ats in my 99' and thats just too much money when i know a big truck tranny would work.
thanks in advance
Ryan Barker

whats a ht740 out of ?

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
Look for a wrecked frieghtliner 3 or 5 ton, they came with cummins b series engines and allison autos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726