Tranny fluid in diesel

Patriot304

Reaction score
I was at the co-op this morning filling up and a farmer was there filling up as well. Got to talking to him and he recommended me put a quart of transmission fluid in with every fill. Anybody here know if this is a worthwhile thing to do?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The theory behind it is the ATF will help keep the pump and injectors clean. Filling a fuel filter with ATF and letting it run for a second then shutting it off cleans the IP real good, but I don't how how effetive it is added to fuel. It doesn't hurt anything though.

If you're looking for a fuel additive, Stanadyne has several different options to consider and they work great. Diesel Kleen works too and it's widely available, but i don't think it's as strong as the stanadyne stuff.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of guys doing the tranny thing in their tanks. If I have a stuck injector or malfunctioning IP, then I do the ATF-fuel-filter thing.

But ideally, something like @Golden Helmet's suggestion with the Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen is better, cuz also, it helps prevent jelling in the lines.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works in a diesel, however catbird tried this one time in a gas engine that had an inline paper fuel filter. That's when I learned how to disassemble an edelbrock carb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker