Tow system wiring needs resurrection, help please!:)

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m pretty new here on the forum, but I have a few questions I’m hoping to get some info on. I have a 94’ f-350 turbo 7.3 idi zf5 4x4 with 297,000 miles. I just finished doing a complete rebuild on the engine and now I’m addressing some wiring issues that came with the truck. I kinda suck when it comes to wiring ( hence why I‘m a fan of mechanical diesels).
Anyhow, my entire towing system is dead, trailer wiring and brake controller. I’m just looking for some tips as to where to start in troubleshooting/ rewiring the beast. Thank you guys for your time:)

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the towing Forum I think there is a tech 101.
Also etrailer website has some diagrams
Bood luck with
P.O. ***** wireing

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First place I'd start is the underhood fuse box. There should be a relay and fuse for the trailer lights.

Is EVERYTHING dead, turn signals and all or just all the running lights and brake controller?

I assume the taillights on the truck are fine? I ask because there is a common ground point on the back of the truck that could be suspect.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. I just came in from working on it and saw your reply. I got the system working, it turned out the left and right blinker wires had been switched, the brake controller power wire was disconnected, and the supply wire to the 12v trailer charging pin in the plug had been cut, and the. Also the backup light pin had a horrible connection. So it turns out I pretty much just had to clean up the P.O.’s wiring mess. Thank you guys for the help :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7