Tinting windows

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is really more of a general question, but since I plan to (someday) do this to my truck and this is the board with by far the most traffic on this site, I hope the powers that be will allow it to stay for a while :angel:

As those who've met me face to face are well aware of, I'm a penguin who can't tolerate heat...68* F is my upper comfort limit, and I'm sweating like a pig and hating life anywhere above 72* F. As such, I want to do everything I can to keep the interiors of both my truck and the car I'm hoping to purchase as cool as possible, and I'm hoping that getting the windows tinted will help reduce the greenhouse effect and keep the interior from becoming an oven. Does anyone know what tint film would be best to keep the sun/UV rays out?

Also, for those of you in California (and especially in the CA law enforcement community, or any LEO for that matter), how dark can you go without attracting unwanted legal attention? I know you can't do the front windows or the windshield in CA...beyond that, I'd like to go as dark as possible without getting the cops interested (and, I imagine that pushing it right to the limit will attract attention even if it is legal)...I cannot afford to get pulled over for any reason; I drive for a living and need to keep a clean record.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thank you in advance ;Sweet

4running_fun

Reaction score
legal limit is 15% but that pushing your luck go to a shop and tell them you you max legal tint. then if you do get pulled over and ticketed the shop needs fixed for free.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Limit in Oregon is 35%, I've gotten several of my rigs tinted to 35% and have not had any issues. The tint places always give me a certificate to show an officer if it's ever in question.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what the limit is in Ohio, but bought a car from Texas, first day of driving it got pulled over by the State Police here. Got ticketed by the SOB for to dark. Went to court over it, charges dismissed but still cost $65 court cost. All I gotta say is get it checked out, court houses are warmer than 68*. ;Really

Kali fine for your tailgate down is $275 + court cost's whatever that is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We do have a "trick" to tinting windows out here. We can use the limo blackout tint but a certain amount of the window needs to be clear. I saw this once. The tint was cut from the top rear of the window down to the front lower corner. I personally didn't like how it looked but it was legal

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Here there isn't a tint law that is truely inforced but I can tell you how I did mine and what a diffrence it made mines a crew cab I wanted to still ba able to see towing with no issues so I did a 9 inch windsheild eyebrow in 5% then front windows in 35% legal in most states the 5% on the back doors then 20% on the rear window. My ac still is not fixed so our last trip it was 70 degress out for the 6 hour trip normally id have the windows down. Sweating and have a headache with the tint all windows ujp with the vent on and we were fine if you realllly want to cut on heat tint the windows and insulate the roof the factory has insulation on the headliner but a good coat of dynaliner also would make a huge diffrence

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For once, good old communist Illinois isn't behind the 8 ball. We can't pack heat but we can tint our windows. ;Sweet

Vfelix702

Reaction score
this is what i have on mine 5% limo tint all the way around but i live in las vegas nevada and never had an issue

Attachments

• IMG00143-20110111-1104.jpg
    IMG00143-20110111-1104.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG00144-20110111-1104.jpg
    IMG00144-20110111-1104.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 11

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Welcome to the brotherhood Vic.....I love the fox squirrel hangin off your chin....( no that's not sarcasm...I have sideburns)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what i have on mine 5% limo tint all the way around but i live in las vegas nevada and never had an issue
Lucky you! I think I'd go to jail if I did that in CA LOL BTW welcome aboard ;Sweet

Thank you all for your answers...does anyone have any feedback on what brand and type of tint film would be best for keeping the heat out of the interior? As much as I prefer to do my own work, I think I'm going to end up paying a shop to do this...but I'd like to know what to look for/ask for.

Also, again, does anyone in the law enforcement community have any thoughts on this? I understand the legal limits, but at what point does a LEO start getting suspicious even if it's legal? I'm trying to avoid being profiled...I had that problem with my old E-350; even though I did (and continue to do) everything I could to keep within the law, I received considerably more unwanted legal attention in that van than I have in anything else I've owned over the years, and that was a small part of why I ended up selling her.

Thanks again ;Sweet

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In SC we can spray paint every window except the front doors if we wanted to, but those can only be down to 35%. I've been running 20% on my subaru for a few years with no legal issues. I just make sure to roll my windows down before an officer gets to my door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08

Members online