Time for a clutch... need your guys help

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. Just got done putting a turbo on my truck and turned the fuel up. Clutch doesn't slip with nothing behind it. But hooked to a empty gooseneck and running it pretty good it slips 4th and 5th gear.
I want to do a SMF conversion and was wondering what clutch you all have had good luck with.
I'm thinking of going with a luK kit cuz the local mechanic gets a good deal on them. But he was telling me today that if I switch to a SMF I also have to change the slave cylinder and clutch matter cylinder. Is this true? I haven't ever read that on here before so i need your all's knowledge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think the slave and master will have anything to do with it. Remember the bigger zf's are different than the small ones. The small ones have an internal slave where as the bigger ones are external slave with a fork.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not have to change the master or slave cylinder.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I know which zf5 I have? The truck is a 91.
I didn't think any of that would have to be changed, but he said he talked to the place where he gets the clutches and they told him that. So that's why I'm on here to do a little checking around from people who know first hand

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also assuming the luK clutch is heavier than the factory clutch. I'm all about doing this once and doing it right. My truck isn't all sorts of powerful right now, but someday down the road my end hp goal is gonna be around 300 and I want a clutch that will be able to hold

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My luk has never slipped with heavy loads and the torque I make. And you do not need to change the hydraulics. Sometimes the supplier idiots want to play the no warranty card if you dont, its your call but I wouldnt spend the extra.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya if I don't have to change them then I'm not going to.
I am gonna call a place up in Jonesburg MO, it's called unique clutch. Guy by the name of snake builds clutches,I was gonna see what he can do with what I got going on because he has built all the clutches in our pulling tractors that me and some friends own and we've had real good luck with them. I know he's also built clutches for pulling trucks too and he's very fair priced so I figured it was worth a call.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if I end up going with the luK, I want to get the 12"clutch right?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to snake at unique clutch, he said if I bring him my old clutch and dmf he will set me up with a smf and a 12" clutch that will hold for my end power goal. Best part is he said it would be under 400$. I think that's a pretty fair deal and since we've had lots of clutches rebuild by him and have had no issues I think I'm going to go that route. I trust him and he really knows his stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle