There goes a transmission

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, my L9000 puked it's 15 direct transmission today. I was driving along, doing 65 km/h or so and I started hearing a knocking sound. It was ever so light and not very frequent. I pulled over and took a look. I was thinking snow/ice chunks were hung up and making noise. Nothing.

I continued along to the dump site going a little slower. Dumped the load off and had another look at the truck, under the hood, driveline, everything. Nothing was found.

As I am haded back to the excavation site, it sounded like someone hit the floor board under my feet with a sledge hammer at full power!!! BANG!!!

I immediatly downshifted, popped the 4 ways on and pulled over. It sounded like metal was dragging down the asphalt behind me, but I STILL didn't see anything. Nothing felt out of the ordinary up to this point.

I thought I will head back to the site, get signed off and take the truck to the shop for a closer look. Got in, shifted 1 - 2 - 3....and the shifter fell right out of my hand to the dashboard. I could swing the shifter in circles and nothing would happen.

I drove to the irving, about a mile and a half up in 3rd gear (6MPH) and parked it. The wrecker took her to the transmission shop for a teardown.

Did a shift fork break?

This was JUST rebuilt, has maybe 6000 miles on it, but it is not covered by warranty. Cherubini had it, rebuilt it, and then we bought it about 2 years after the fact. Cherubini NEVER put a SINGLE mile on it.

IT ALWAYS shifted like butter, never ground (driver never LET it grind) and never vibrated. Looks like she's toast!

Maybe now we can get an OD (13, 18 speed) transmission in there instead of that 15 direct that was in there.