Synthetic lube..........

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Time to change the fluids in the ZF/ T-case and both pigs.

Is Amsoil worth the $$$$$$$?????

Do they make a gear lube for limited slips or does it require a friction modifier?

I know that the ZF and T-case take the same Merc-V or equivelant.
I'm looking for feedback regarding weather full synth is better in cold climates.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I've got Mobile 1 in both my transfer case & tranie. Got the idea from Yoda & so far it's working great. Otherwise I'd more than likely be running Red Line synthetic.

Limited slip tranies need a friction modifer unless you get Red Line gear oil or another high quality gear oil with the additive already in it. I've got a Detroit Locker & forget what brand of synthetic lub I'm running. However, it was the gear oil **** Cepek recommended.

B

Big K

IMHO

I believe that a good quality Synthetic is worth the $$.

I use Amsoil products. I am a dealer for personal use only. Saves me some $.

I have Synthetic in everything I own.

They offer a synthetic gear lube that does not require a friction modifier. Available in a viscosity to suit your needs. I know of at least 4 limited slip diffs that it's in. Two belong to me. Works great.

Merc-V, that's an ATF designation, right? Amsoil makes a Universal ATF that meets that spec. I just checked.

Good quality full synthetic products excel in extreme temperatures. Just one of the many benefits.

There are other good flavors available. Mobil, Red Line, Royal Purple (though I don't know much about that one), are a few.

Use the one that suits you. You'll be glad you did.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Re: IMHO

Originally posted by Big K
[B

There are other good flavors available. Mobil, Red Line, Royal Purple (though I don't know much about that one), are a few.

Use the one that suits you. You'll be glad you did. [/B]

I know a couple guys who tried Royal Purple and they were not impressed, they are now running Red Line.

I must admit I'm a tad sceptical of Amsoil and that's only cuz the sales reps I've seen make it seem like snake oil. I have never sat down and chatted with anybody who runs it other than dealers. I'd like to find a 3rd party who uses it and see what they think without any of the hype from the sales side of the house.

B

Big K

Re: Re: IMHO

Originally posted by Ramprat
I know a couple guys who tried Royal Purple and they were not impressed, they are now running Red Line.

Yeah, that's why I added the mild diclaimer on that one. Just don't know much about it. I have heard nothing negative, but I'd hope that anyone wanting to try a product like that would do their research, and draw their own conclusions from that. :)

I have heard a lot of good reports about Red Line products, and will be trying some in my NV 5600 at next service interval.

I must admit I'm a tad sceptical of Amsoil and that's only cuz the sales reps I've seen make it seem like snake oil. I have never sat down and chatted with anybody who runs it other than dealers. I'd like to find a 3rd party who uses it and see what they think without any of the hype from the sales side of the house.

I'd like to think that I could be considered a fairly unbiased source. Yes, I am a dealer, as stated, but only for my own use. I also supply my friends @ my cost. Contrary to ethical business practice ;), I have never sold any for a profit. I offer my opinions and preferences, but also offer other options. After using Amsoil for over 15 years, along with Mobil1, and soon Red Line, I would be remiss if I didn't inform others of my positive experiences.

I might try to sell you on synthetics, though I admit that they are not for everyone. Neither are they for every application. For example, I don't use syn in anything but the engine in my trail Jeep. As much as I try to avoid mud and water, it's usually present. Diffs and gear boxes are changed every time out. Wouldn't make sense to use syn.
As most of my experience is with Amsoil, that flavor tops my list. I've had positive results from it, it's locally and readily available, and as a "dealer" the cost is as good or better than other flavors. Your circumstances may differ.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical of a company using MLM. I know and understand why they went that way, but it still causes one to think of that other company that starts with A :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I am a little biased. It stems, however, not from a profit motive, but rather from many years of product use with good results. Can't help that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running rp in my six sp., it really made it shift smooth. Couple of guys with 5 sp. running red line and it made theirs shift alot better too. Me thinks about all the name brand syn. are of good quality and will work good in the manual trans. I wouldn't go back to the stock stuff at all.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Thanx for the honest replys!

What cost diff and availability between Amsoil and Red Line?

I too looked at Amsoil like I did Amway:puke:

I see it in a different light lately:D

Cold cybers coming your way!

probear

AKA pooh :)
Reaction score
I too run Amsoil and also have 'dealer' status for the same reason mentioned above......

I know several people in the Great White North, that now have less problems with cold weather now that they are running Amsoil Synthetic. I've been running it for a couple of years, and been very satisfied....

Worth the money?? IMO, you bet !!:D

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by probear
I too run Amsoil and also have 'dealer' status for the same reason mentioned above......

I know several people in the Great White North, that now have less problems with cold weather now that they are running Amsoil Synthetic. I've been running it for a couple of years, and been very satisfied....

Worth the money?? IMO, you bet !!:D

Not you to:moon: :moon:

****, guess now I need to seriously listen to what the snake oil guys say;p

So, what's it take to get "dealer status" from amsoil & how much do you save going this route :confused:

B

Big K

"Preferred Customer", or something like that, is about $15-$20 a year, and "Dealer" is $25- $30 a year. Don't quote me on that, but it's close. I don't pay the bills around here, but merely supply the funds to do so.

As far as I know, the price you pay is the same with either of those memberships. I am not up to speed on the differences in cost. If I 'member correctly, we're @ about 2/3 the retail cost.

Makes it affordable. Kinda ;) :D

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rumpy
Buddy up with someone and it will be a lot better and cheaper for all, the more the buddys the better the deal. Just a thought
Geno

probear

AKA pooh :)
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
Not you to:moon: :moon:

****, guess now I need to seriously listen to what the snake oil guys say;p

So, what's it take to get "dealer status" from amsoil & how much do you save going this route :confused:

hehe, let me know or give me a call. PM me at the other place and I'll be glad to discuss it with you.

BTW, not only do I like synthetics in car/trucks, I ran them in my Superstar airplane. I don't experiment with $40,000 engines...:D

BTowler

Short bus driver
Reaction score
Can't beat synthetic! Hands down better than any dino oil, by far! Only thing I like to point out is that Mobil1 is not true synthetic, it still uses a petroleum based carrier oil (still a good oil, but I'll never put the tranny fluid in another 47RE). As far as I know, only Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple are true 100% synthetics (polyol-esther based).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726