Successful 3000 mile trip

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we set out in my '88 E250 on June 17th to visit family in Texas. We drove a total of 2996 miles round trip. It is about 1300 miles each way along with a week of site seeing.
Passed through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

Overall the trip went well. The only mechanical issue was a dead alternator about 8 hours into the trip. It is a lifetime warranty unit, so I was able to find an Autozone and replace it in the parking lot. It definitely convinced me of the need to swap to a 3g and to go with a new unit instead of a rebuild.

Ended up averaging 16.37mpg for the trip there and back with the cruise set at 70mph. Not too bad for a barn on wheels. Best tank was 17.55mpg (twice) and worst was 15.26mpg. I was able to maintain CC at 70mph on all but a couple of inclines in the Ozarks.......the same ones had an extra slow lane added for 18 wheelers that would lose quite a bit of speed. With just cruise I would drop to 65mph and hold there. No black smoke etc. If I gave it a little more throttle I could stay at 70mph or even speed up. EGT's never got above 1000*.

I did notice that the Texas heat/humidity affected performance some (high 90's vs low 80's). Mostly it was just added black smoke during harder acceleration prior to the engine getting up to operating temps.

I set up the van to give us the most interior room possible. I removed the middle bench seat and built a platform to go over the brackets. This left the back bench, 2 captians chairs and the 2 front seats.
You must be registered for see images attach

I used a hitch mounted cargo carrier for our luggage. That meant that inside we only had our coolers, pillows, blankets etc. Made it so we didn't have to spend money on a hotel on the way down. Pulled into a WalMart and parked with the other RV's. My 3 boys slept on the back bench and on the floor. My wife and I spun the front seats around for our feet and laid the middle captains chairs back. Like sleeping in a recliner. Only thing I forgot about was that it was still 85* out at midnight in Texarkana. We had a battery powered fan to help, but it was still pretty warm. If we did it agian I may make an AC out of a cooler and run it off my 12v jump starter.

I added a phone/gps holder to the cupholder I had already built. Allowed easy access to view gps while still keeping an eye on the road. Also used it to stream Pandora during the trip. I purchased a Bluetooth Cassette adapter so I could stream the music through the vans tape deck.

Setting off at 5am

I ripped a bunch of movies on to a USB. This kept us from having to carry a bunch of individual DVD's. The boys got to kick back in front of the TV to pass the time.....and yes, my son on the right wears his head phones that way so he doesn't mess up his hair. Gotta love teenagers.....

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
always glad to hear about old iron successfully making a long journey. Sounds like it was a good trip.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always glad to hear about old iron successfully making a long journey. Sounds like it was a good trip.

It was good.

Funny that you mention the "Old Iron". I can't count the number of people who responded "You're going to drive that thing on your trip?!?! Aren't you afraid it will break?!?!?"

The truth is that over the past 3 years I have gone through and upgraded/done maintenance on almost every system in the van. I trust it more than I do my wife's Sienna.....and if something does break on it (like the alternator) it usually can be limped to am auto parts store and it is simple enough I can get it going again pretty easy.

I would jump in it tomorrow and drive coast to coast without a second thought.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome trip for you and the family.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Its funny to me, in this area where I live, people really cant afford a USED car anymore. The used cars, say 2004 ish, are too complicated for them to do the work themselves, and too expensive for them to pay the labor to do the work. These folks are better off just leasing something for 300 a month.
I love the idea of still being able to limp into an auto parts store, swap the alternator and be on your way.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Awesome, I have not made a trip that far with my truck but don't blink at driving it 500+ miles away for vacations.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how we setup the front to sleep in.

We used a battery powered camping fan in the window for air circulation. We only had the 1. Using a couple more would have been better.

In the future if it is going to be hot at night I plan on building one of these. I will use a 12v fan that can run off the jump-starter I carry around or off a house battery once I get it installed. My biggest concern with it is space, so I would need to be able to use the ice chest for more than just the AC. Maybe storage of dry goods while not in use. Then use frozen water bottles during AC duty so I don't have to worry about water when the ice melts.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saweet mileage for a freaking movile shippijg container....

Sounds like a great trip....thanks for sharing