Sterling Rear Disc Brake Kit

suv7734

Reaction score
This is the technical write up on the conversion. You will need to be a registered member to see the photos and drawings.

Be careful if you are following this setup because the hard lines were not replaced with rubber at the calipers. This means that every time the caliper moves (every time the brakes are applied) there is stress put on the steel line which can/wil cause eventual failure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is there anyway to do rear disc on dually with 16"? Even without E/brake?
I've looked & watched here, there, everywhere & etc. I mostly get idea that it's the ebrake that's the problem for duallys.
Ebrake would have to be on tranny/driveline.
Got news for you:D
99-03( or even newer) E350 dually has the parking brake on the axle.
here's the bad news....Extensive mounting bracket modification required.
"Jaybee" did it on his truck. But keep in mind he is also a auto engineer who built running prototypes for a living. I'd hazard to say he is pretty good a fab work;Sweet

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with '78 F-250 4x4 front calipers, rotors and brackets for my truck. Going to drill out the caliper bracket to bolt where the drum backing plate used to go. I believe the rotors and calipers are the same used on my truck right now.

I need to find some decent brake hoses though. The '78 hoses have a steel line that sticks straight upward from the caliper, with a rubber section that goes to the frame (like on our trucks). I don't want to go to the frame, rather to the axle like with the drum setup.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful if you are following this setup because the hard lines were not replaced with rubber at the calipers. This means that every time the caliper moves (every time the brakes are applied) there is stress put on the steel line which can/wil cause eventual failure.
Agreed. The other concern is only using 3 bolts to mount the adapter vs four used in the commercial unit.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i emailed them and i just got a response they said it's possible but they need some dimensions first. heres what they said

"Chris the problem is more than wheel size. Usually the dual axles have a larger space from the

backing plate to the hub. If it interests you we would need to know the spacing of the 4 bolts

that bolt the backing plate on and then the spacing from the axle flange to the back side of the

hub. Thanks Cliff"

so bearing that in mind, anybody got a warm garage that they could pull there wheels and check this? i'm in about 2 foot of snow right now.
chris

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was big into the Full Sized Jeep thing fols were converting over to disc brakes using the caddy calipers and line-locs for the E-brake.

Mico Brake locks will work but are pricey.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online