Starting problems

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok my trucks being stuiped.we replaced the pump acouple weeks ago cause I blew a seal out of the other one.any way it was all fine an well had no starting problems.itd fire up up in like 3 cranks hot or cold.any way Thursday or Friday I went to go to town.it started ran acouple seconds then quiet.i tryed it a few times and nothin.so I went to town to do my buisness an have dad come help me start it.we tryed for 30 mins and finally got it to get all the air out.by then it was cranking slow.and I only cranked a few seconds at a time then gave it a break.i guess the starters about burnt out.any way it starts fine cold still but once the engine gets hot and ran awhile if you shut it off.itll start but it takes awhile cause it's not cranking fast.could the heat from the engine be messing with the starter and makin it harder to crank.it was all fine till we kinda burnt the starter out.thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These starters don't like to crank for long periods. Our high compression engines wear them out way too fast. If your engine requires long cranking periods to start then you wont have a starter long. Finding a hard start issue is very important to a long life starter. Many here will recommend the ebay site called DB Electric. They make a great starter that works for many here. Might want to stay away from the bargain auto parts lifetime starters. Sure you wont be buying another starter but you sure will be replacing a few Quality costs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok my trucks being stuiped.we replaced the pump acouple weeks ago cause I blew a seal out of the other one.....

K there is a fundamental lack of important information here....

Where in fact did the pump that you used to replace the one with blown seal come from? Is this a NEW or Remanned pump or some old pump with no known history off some truck at a auto recycler????

Next would be how was it timed?

Helps us help you...provide details please

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Came off my 7.3 till we can buy a new moose pump.it was timed till there was no hazing and ran fine.its timed close to what it's supposed to be cause it runs perfect.im pretty sure the starter is the origanal one from 86.could be wrong.before this it crank over pretty damn fast.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came off my 7.3 till we can buy a new moose pump.it was timed till there was no hazing and ran fine.its timed close to what it's supposed to be cause it runs perfect.im pretty sure the starter is the origanal one from 86.could be wrong.before this it crank over pretty damn fast.

How many K on the pump?

Is it an original or unknown?

Did you have that engine the 7.3 with that pump, running in a truck previously? If so what was it like?

Please...details as much as possible

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Have you tried pouring water on the pump when its hot to see if cooling it a bit will allow it to start. Never personally tried this but many recomennd this to identify a pump that is going bad.

jim

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well it try's to start hot it just takes alittle longer.it just won't crank fast enough to start fast.it acts just like it did when it was starting off one battery only alittle longer.both battery's are pulling I do know and jumping it don't make it crank faster.thats what make me think it's the starter.unkown milage on the pump.yes it ran in the other truck but wasn't timed completely correct.once we worked out a few kinks in it it ran great.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF...the pump worked OK on the other engine when it was HOT it's likely not a HEAT soak issue, however try a gallon of cool water on the head where the IP lines come out...and over the pump. If it starts after cooling pump is on way out to kaput!

If no change then get a new starter!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online