start up.......

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well, seem sI forgot to hook up the batts to a trickle charger while the truck was down and the batts are flat to the point of just clicking...about 7 volts :rolleyes:

Yea...I know....

Anywho, when I actually do try and start, other than giving the starter a rest, and considering I only drained the HPOP and disconnected the fuel lines at the frame---hard steel to braided---.....no injectors were removed {unfortunatly}

What can I expect stumble wise ---I hear the HPOP system is a buggar to re-start when drained--- and how long should I try before investigating possible issues?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geo,

Do you have the VC's off still? Might be a good idear to pull the rear most oil galley plug on each head to help chase the air out. Pull the maxi fuse for the IDM (#22 I think) and then crank until you have oil coming out of the rear galley plug.

20-30 second crank then a 2 or 3 minute rest cycle... 20-30 second crank, rinse and repeat until hair feels silky smooth.

Once you have oil at the galley plugs, reinstall plugs, put the VC's on and reassy your air cleaner and put the fuse back in and fire it up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can also fill the HPOP reservoir with clean oil.you are going to have some burping,coughing,sneezing and stalling before it will run on its own.drive it 30 miles at 45MPH with the od off or in 4th gear to clear the air from the HPO system.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
you can also fill the HPOP reservoir with clean oil.you are going to have some burping,coughing,sneezing and stalling before it will run on its own.drive it 30 miles at 45MPH with the od off or in 4th gear to clear the air from the HPO system.

Well....I have been trying to start that ***** since about 2:30 -cuss

HOPO res was filled, cracked the lines at the heads and spun over till oil spewed out, pressed schrader valve on fuel reg till fuel spewed out....
ran out of battery charger so I hooked up 2 pr jumpers-1 to each batt that are connected to the running Dodge ...and all I get is ......neee, nneeee, nneee,nnneee, nnneee...sounds like a friggin 6 liter but no smoke or even a hiccup :frustrate :frustrate -cuss

Talked to jharvey over the ph and we kinda narrowed it to the IDM or fuse #22 :confused:

Lil' HELP! please! :hail

I'm running out of names to call her and "colorful" expressions....... :angel:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No smoke is a bad sign. I dont mean to question your abilities but.......:angel:

I doubt the IDM died while the engine was on vacation so, make sure all your connections are solid at any harness you took apart to facilitate the engine removal.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well, re-checked all fueses, including #22 an all are fine......

re-cracked the lines at the heads and spun till oil spewed out as well as fuel.......

no smoke out tail pipe, no real smell of anything diesel cookoo

need a BIGGER

:frustrate :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate smiley :D

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
No smoke is a bad sign. I dont mean to question your abilities but.......:angel:

I doubt the IDM died while the engine was on vacation so, make sure all your connections are solid at any harness you took apart to facilitate the engine removal.

Oh question away ;Sweet I'm not above a flub :D

The eng harness is pretty much idiot proof and all connections were initially cleaned with electrisol and coated with dilectric grease ;Sweet

Have verified all connections 4 times...removal and re-connect and inspect for any pin misalignment

left bank has new UVC and gasket and 1 connector due to "someone" :angel:
snapping off the clip thingy.......

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you chipped geo? I thinkst you are but cant remember for sure. If so, pull it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Are you chipped geo? I thinkst you are but cant remember for sure. If so, pull it.

pulled the chip and dis-connected the batts--rest over a smoke and cold beer -then re-connected after the first 1/2 hr of trying to start :frustrate -Drool

Fitin' to go wind her up sum more....Rich suggested checking the HPOP drive bolt....I torqued her down to 60 ft lbs..........was I cookoo ..........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08