Spongy brake pedal after new pads

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Crazy, I've never seen that doodad before in Ford brakes. According to your link Oriellys says the last van used was 1985, last F250 was 1977. So dang I'm no help.
Sorry, I figured we had the same caliper arrangement. Apparently not!

Yeah, I expected the annoying pin things like on my 87 F250. I think its to keep the caliper from bouncing around. It goes in at the bottom slide point. You can see and end sticking out here, the little silver bit by itself.

You must be registered for see images attach

I ordered a new brake hardware kit that has everything. It'll be here Wednesday. (Hooray for a second free prime trial shortly after I just had one recently)

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a feeling that flat part is going to get rare soon, much like the brake booster this van uses, only specific to 1984-1986 vans. Another set on Amazon without the I beam looking pieces had an odd note saying "Sell Until Depleted". And it refers to the I beam piece "w/o key". All the hardware kits on Amazon are nearly sold out too. So yeah, I snatched up a kit.

I might try pulling the broken half out on the drivers side just to see how much movement it has. Maybe its only neeed for worn caliper slides, or maybe it needs tons more grease than I gave it. I will run a wire wheel in my drill over the surfaces to clean then them up too.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would adjust the rears and bleed the system. If the shop that worked on it didn't lube the sliders I'd be suspicious about the rest of the work they did. As noisydiesel said take it out and do a dozen hard stops then let it sit. If it doesn't seem better after that then start looking at your booster and master.