SON OF A B***H im really pissed

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
got the trans in the truck today and got every thing all buttoned up and put the fluid in and shifted it through all the gears and added some more till it was full! so then i took it for a test run and it was shifting great till the rpms started getting really high when it would go to shift so i stopped and went to turn around and go home and it wouldnt move so i got out and looked under the truck and it was pissinf fluid all over out the front behind the torque converter! i dont know what to do now! -cuss

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
when i got the trans from manicmike he said it needed the front shaft seal! and it wasnt in the trans when i got it from him so that was the onlything i replaced

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
yea i wish! i was workin with a tight-ass budget and i have no more money! i dont know what to do now!!!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told you to make sure to replace the TC shaft seal, even described what it looked like. In the first place, you prolly put too much fluid in the tranny, you have to check it when HOT, with 16-18 Qts. in there the oil expands a considerable amount. NEVER NEVER overfill an E4OD, it will ruin it. You may be OK, but check it when HOT, a Qt. low is better than over. If it's overfilled, disconnect a hose going to the oil cooler ( the rear line on the tranny) and startup and pump some out, in 10-15 seconds you should get about a gallon out. Then reconnect and adjust fluid, never over the full mark.

Sorry for the rant, but most E4OD's are ruined by overfill.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
IT WAS THE FRONT SHAFT SEAL IS WHAT I REPLACED!!! AND I DID NOT OVER FILL IT!!!! I PUT AROUND 15 QUARTS IN THE TRANS! AND THE TRUCKS WAS AT IDLE AND I SHIFTED THROUGH ALL GEARS AND THE CHECKED IT. IT WAS ABOUT A QUART LOW I DONT THINK THAT THE FLUID IS GOING TO EXSPAND AND A QUART!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT WAS THE FRONT SHAFT SEAL IS WHAT I REPLACED!!! AND I DID NOT OVER FILL IT!!!! I PUT AROUND 15 QUARTS IN THE TRANS! AND THE TRUCKS WAS AT IDLE AND I SHIFTED THROUGH ALL GEARS AND THE CHECKED IT. IT WAS ABOUT A QUART LOW I DONT THINK THAT THE FLUID IS GOING TO EXSPAND AND A QUART!

No need to shout, just trying to help you.

There is a vent assembly on top toward the front, if that is plugged, then pressure will build inside and blow out fluid from the dip stick,seals and any place it can get out. May or may not be your problem.

If the TC was not drained, then 16 Qts. is too much. Could be the dip stick is not the correct one and is measuring low. Did the dip stick and tube come with the tranny?

Yes the fluid will expand a considerable amount from cold to hot. Cold ? Hot ~ 180*, under power as hi as 210* that is more than a 100* rise in temp.

When overfilled, all those clutches and gears rotating in there will thrash the fluid around and aerate it, causing the volume to increase, the pump has a hard time pumping air and will even cause more thrashing (aeration).

I don't claim to be an expert on E4OD's, but rebuilt enough of them to know how it should be done and the problems you can run into.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The pump could have an excessively worn bushing. That will cause fluid to build up and leak past the seal.

To fix it. You will need to split the pump halves. Drive out the old bushing. Press in a new bushing.

If you go that route. Might as well replace the coast clutch seals and converter lock up seal. (Teflon seals)

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
sorry for yelling! the TC was drained. the trans was from a 92 f250 so i would imagine the dip stick and tube from my truck would be the same which is what i used. i pulled the cooler and lines out of the truck and cleaned them as well the transmission its self and put new filter and gasket also! Im thinking the pump could have excessively worn bushings like trackerspeed said. so im just going to call and see about getting it rebuild and seeing if i can finanice.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Roxbury transmission in Butzville NJ 908-453-2202(about 40 min from you). Talk to BOB. He stutters but just be patient. Tell him Brad sent you. He is unbelievably cheap. He is basicly doing a rebuild on my ZF5 for $400

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
anybody have the stuff do do a zf5 swap thats close to me and cheap :) all ive ever owned was stick trucks and i buy my 1st automatic and have nothing but problems lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online