some help need please

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I am new to the cummins part of this site as I currently have a 6.9 idi ford. I have been thinking of upgrading to a cummins at some point (possibly sooner than later) and have been looking at what the conversion will cost. I know that it is expensive and will likely cost more than my original budget.

That said is there anyone in the Portland Oregon area that would be willing to let me ride in or even test drive their 12 valve? I work for a ford dealership and have driven a couple f550's with 24 valves and they seemed limited in their powerband, but Im not sure what the rear end gears where (likely 4.56 or better).

I would like to know how a similiar truck to what mine will be runs. I currently have 3.55 gears, a zf5, and a turbo 6.9. I am looking at leaving the trans and gears as is, and putting a cummins out front. Im looking at the early cummins or a 12 valve for cost and ease to work on.

Im not looking for a hopped up, smoke spewing beast. I want to know what a stock or just over stock cummins is gonna do in a crew cab f350 flatbed with a manual trans and 3.55 or possibly 4.10 gears.

Thanks in advance for any replies or help.

Justin

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, I wanna see many pics. Was thinking same thing on my 94 crew cab, but diapers limit the budget. Cant answer any of your questions, but hope you decide to go on this plan. Keep us posted.
BTW gonna have to ad some leafs to the front. LoL!!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I dont think the 5.9 weights more than the 6.9. Not sure though. I would think they would be simaliar if not the same. Anyone know what a dressed 5.9 weighs?

Justin

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Hah... guess I will be leading this one... just put a deposit down on a 12valve...it is rather hopped up though. Cannot help with a ride but as far as conversion costs check out fordcummins and destroked. I just sent an email to advance adaptors for a setup with my T19 and I'll post up prices as I find out. The first 2 list their parts costs which seem rather high. Advance adapters does not list something for my application but I think they might still make something...

edit-noticed your other post mentioning destroked and fordcummins... guess you have an idea of price... will still post up what I find out

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
I have worked on the 6.9, and the 5.9 and everything else that crawls through theese mountians. CAT, INT, CUMMINS, DETROIT, VOLVO, AND MACK. Trust me my 5.9 is open and probly the easiest to work on than all of them. except for the 565 cummins ISX in a long PETERBUILT with a super ten manual and custom 8" straight pipe stacks haulin 85,000 lbs through the mountians of colorado. "arg, arg, arg, arg," now thats power go cummins the best I ever worked with or ever wanna work with and I have a lot of exp. in the matter.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I love my idi, It has proven itself time and again. I just think a cummins is gonna give me the same reliability, slightly better fuel mileage, and more grunt to get things done. I plan to put the idi in an early bronco as a smaller rig. The crew cab is my pride and joy but it isnt the easiest to get around down town. A bronco will be half the length and I can still get a some towing done if need be.

justin

Last edited:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
around town... is what the Benzo is for

if you do a bronco... make it a capable offroader

...is what I would do

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the benz (benzs my fiance has one too) do commuter duty, the crew cab does work and moving. Im planning on building a small early bronco for wheeling, summer driving (no top), and all around toy. It can do light work but its main purpose will be something else to drive. The benz is great, and easy on fuel, but I really am a truck guy and if I drive the car 5 days, I drive the truck one for no reason other than ground clearance. (I know that makes no logical sence but I grew up in nowhere indiana and still love the old truck feel and ride, beats a caddy/benz/ferrari in my book)

justin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online