So.. my engine is dirty for a reason.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After doing my electric fuel pump and screwing up the block off plate 37 different ways and having oil everywhere I took to cleaning things today.

I got to thinking while under there, everything sure was a dirty mess before I messed all of that up under there. But, the truck never leaked oil (so I thought) so after i got everything cleaned up I went for a good long drive and got the truck up to temp and let it idle for over 10 minutes in the driveway at high idle and revved it up some towards the end.

I got one single solitary drop. And it was "wet" near the starter. It also looked like the bottom of the dipstick tube was wet, but I couldn't see anything near it nor do I remember if I dried it off or not..

My valve covers looked dry on both sides. Cdr area near the gpr was dry. [Its a non turbo]. Oil cooler area was dry. Drivers side was dry in general.

Anything else that can leak? It was before the trans so I believe that rules out the rear main. Oil pan seemed to stay dry at least at the drivers side and on the front on the passenger side but the oil towards the back seems to be coming from up somewhere.

I laid underneath there for 5 minutes after thinking things over with it running and didn't see a thing. Nor was there another drop.

I'm thinking it only leaks at high rpms from the dipstick area, but I can't get anywhere near that where it's at to even really tell. Since its so miniscule of a leak maybe there's no point in digging in there unless it gets worse, but as always some guidance may help me to make that decision.

It's definitely slow now to the point where I'm half wondering if it even exists or if I just didn't dry things off enough after giving it a good cleaning.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If worse comes to worse, pull out the dipstick tube, put some rtv around the bottom of it and reinstall it. You can do the same thing for the adapter that goes into the block that the tube sits in too. Of course clean them up good before you put on the rtv.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaks coming down the starter are often water/diesel coming down the drain port at the back of the valley pan.

Also, remember - leaks are by design! It's rustproofing! :p

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Aha! Oil feed for bypass leaking into inspection plate and probably going everywhere.

Dipstick also feels loose, but now that it's clean under here I can probably more easily identify where it's leaking (if it even really is or if it was just still dropping from doing my electric pump mod and my old lift pump had been seeping beforehand)....

At least my oil cooler is nice and dry and whatever it is is super slow.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the fluid for oil that glows when UV light hits it...add some to engine oil drive and inspect w a uv light.

JM7.ECW Eh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle