Smokes and runs rough after setting 20 min

Themudgician

Reaction score
Hi i recently found my dads truck he bought new in 1994. I bought it for my son since he never got to meet his grandpa. The truck is a 1994 f250 idi turbo. The truck has 108,000 miles on it. It has several problems i need to get ironed out. The truck seems to start good in mornings but if i drive it and leave it set 20 min or so when i start it back up it smokes pretty bad and misses for a few minutes then clears up and runs fine. Any ideas what causing this. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since it starts good in the morning and your saying it's more of a warm starting issue possibly maybe not air in the system but not to be ruled out easy things first like checking for fuel leaks. Hot start issues tend to be injection pump related with 108xxx on it and if it's the original injection pump it maybe getting tired/warn out. Maybe injectors also wearing out if stock as well. Someone else will reply soon I'm also. But start simple and work up from there fuel filters return lines, diesel additives . basic tune up maintaince parts never hurt anything

Themudgician

Reaction score
Ok , i did find a receipt that it had injectors replaced around 20,000 miles ago. Im guessing it is original injection pump. I dont see any leaks. I did change a few bad return hoses and replaced a few clamps with no change. It basically acts like a gas motor thats flooded when it starts up. Its like u got to clear it out before it smooths out and quits smoking.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually when doing that you want to change all the hose and clamps at the same time, moving them around tends to cause them to leak or let air in but no visible leaks is a good sign. Fuel filter maybe plugging up, when sitting over night all sediments maybe sinking to bottom of it making starts easier, but after running during say could be sticking all that to the filter media and it takes a while to settle back down so plugged during day partially. Also would check fuel pressure at the housing where the Schaeder valve is to see if it's got good running fuel pressure into pump this will help determine if its filter/ lift pump related

Themudgician

Reaction score
Ok i did notice today the fuel filter light pop on a few times when i was getting in the throttle pretty good. I ordered a new filter hopefully that helps. Thanks for the
input

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes if that light is coming on it's defiantly time to get a new one, I'm not sure but it maybe triggered by fuel pressure so after the filter I'd drive it and see how it does if problems persist I would check the fuel pressure, lift pumps are cheap like 20-30 dollars and relitivly easy to replace

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86