Smoke around the dipstick tube

sign_man

Reaction score
Given my 7.3 NA has unknown miles and that it is burning a quart of oil every 500 miles and puffs smoke around the dipstick tube, would you say the rings are shot?

It starts in an instant warm, but cold takes about 10 seconds. I know its blasphemy to say it, but it started twice as fast cold with Autolite GP's versus the Beru's I just put in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sign_man said:
Given my 7.3 NA has unknown miles and that it is burning a quart of oil every 500 miles and puffs smoke around the dipstick tube, would you say the rings are shot?

It starts in an instant warm, but cold takes about 10 seconds. I know its blasphemy to say it, but it started twice as fast cold with Autolite GP's versus the Beru's I just put in.
blasphemy? no.
russian roulette? yes. your wheels, your choice.
as far as the smoke signals, its an indication of blowby. chances are you have over 200k on the motor. I wouldn't sweat it. blowby is a fact of a diesel's life.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mine will blow a bit of smoke through the dipstick and it only has around 25k miles in it but it is a Jasper rebuild :rolleyes:

btw Calvin, I like that avatar :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, Calvin took that picture himself at one of his slumber partys. LOL

Could be valve guide seals. Might be part of your oil consumption problem. Make sure your CDR is working properly, or install an RDT if you don't want to see any blowby coming from anywhere other than where it should.

sign_man

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Mine will blow a bit of smoke through the dipstick and it only has around 25k miles in it but it is a Jasper rebuild :rolleyes:

btw Calvin, I like that avatar :Sly

What's your oil consumption on the Jasper?

sign_man

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yea, Calvin took that picture himself at one of his slumber partys. LOL

Could be valve guide seals. Might be part of your oil consumption problem. Make sure your CDR is working properly, or install an RDT if you don't want to see any blowby coming from anywhere other than where it should.

I'd considered the valve guide seals but when I noticed the smoke around the dipstick tube, I figured it may be massive blowby. I installed a new CDR a few months ago and cleaned the oil from the intake. The oil is back.

I'm not to concerned with the smoke, I just wish I didn't have to put so much oil in a truck I drive as much as this one. I've logged 12,000 miles since April. The truck weighs 10,750# and I pull a travel trailer to New Orleans every few weeks that grosses 7700#. The oil consumption seems to stay the same, towing or not.

How much does it cost for strippers at a slumber party? :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might switch to a RDT. If you see a lot of oil in your intake, chances are that is where it is being consumed. If you set up the RDT correctly, you might see a reduction in oil consumption.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 qt/500 miles, I would just call it good, my 6.9 is getting near time for an oil change and it is higher than that sometimes. I wouldn't think its the valve seals, but even if it is, I would much rather have some oil blowing by them than the more common failure on 7.3s, insufficient lube on the valve stems...broken stem, trashes the motor, but it sounds like youa re getting PLENTY oil in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online