Slow staring

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Just picked up a 94 2500 with a 5 speed, 240k, to my knowledge it's bone stock, and all I've done since I bought it was change out the exhaust, and changed engine oil/filter and fuel filter. I've noticed it doesn't fire right off, it actually cranks a couple revolutions before it fires. In my experience with these they usually fire before you even get the thing to turn over (relatively speaking ofcourse) I did find that if you give it just a touch of throttle, it fires right off like normal. It idles fine, not too low, so I don't want to turn the idle up.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.
Chris

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When dodge went to Cummins looking for an engine to put in thier pickups Cummins gave them the 4BT. Dodge wasn't happy with the idea of a 4 banger in a fullsize truck and insisted on using the six instead figuring americans were too ignorant to understand the four was plenty. To put the six in the didge, Cummins made a stupidly underfueled 160HP six with a poorly sized turbo. Over the next few years the engines held up and the didge drivetrain's weaknesses and shortcomings came to light and were fixed. By 1994 the drivetrain was better than 89, but the engine was still quite detuned from the factory. One big power-killer used was retarded timing on the early engines. The 94 and 95 engines are notorious for this. These engines had similiar timing to the 89-93 motors, but with the new P7100 pump they didn't start as well because the P7100 is fixed time and has no provision for cold start advance.

Odds are you need to advance your timing several degrees and you'll have a new truck.

Lock the IP shaft, pop the IP gear loose from the input and rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise about 1/2" then tighten and reassemble everything again. It should start much better and gain a good bit of throttle response and low end power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70