Runs better when waste oil is added???

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I added a couple gallons of waste oil to my tank this evening, my truck had been missing some and had a good shake to it for a few days, now after i added the waste oil it purrs like a little kitten? Why does it run better on a mix of waste oil and diesel rather than on straight diesel?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
mine dosent have a miss but it does run smoother and quiter on wmo maybe even slightly more power infact it even idles higher on 100% wmo

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a couple gallons of waste oil to my tank this evening, my truck had been missing some and had a good shake to it for a few days, now after i added the waste oil it purrs like a little kitten? Why does it run better on a mix of waste oil and diesel rather than on straight diesel?

lubricity as I learned a while ago, the additives dont do much and oil blends in well with deisel and thus lubricates the IP and injectors better than straight or additives like diesel kleen. I got me some 2-cycle oil i think (whatever was recommended here) to add to my oil

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I'm with shadetree mechanic.
I was going to say your timing is screwed. Using WMO retards it and makes it appear smoother.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I also noticed that it idled a little higher, meaybe i will retrd the timing

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing WMO does is it increases the viscosity of your fuel. This can aid aling injection pumps with excessive tolerances. I had a pump that had a worn advance piston, and the timing would shift around on streight #2, but behave properly on a 50/50 mix.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Man id love to run some wmo, or used atf in the terra, but even with 3 fuel filters id still lose sleep at night thinking I'm gonna hurt my i/p, injectors, or worse yet my motor!!!:eek: I wouldn't dare attempt any of the gear oil outta the scout though, usually has water or mud in it!

-Jon

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have also heard the higher viscosity can raise the injector pop off pressure on top of all the other benefits. basically it helps the truck run as it probubly should when new.LOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
also noticed it smokes like a train on the waste motor oil, but not as much on straight #2 and it idles a littles smoother and at 700 like it should instead off 500 that it does on straight diesel but the funny thing is somtimes it idles at 500 on diesel on then other times it goes 650-700 like it should, i guess my pump probly is getting worn out, its the same pump thats been turned 4500 rpm and its having to pop 2300psi injectors, but it seems to do good gets decent fuel milage nothing to brag about tho, and it always fires on the first turn of the motor after the engine is warm, and when its 75-80 or so it will fire with no pre heat or ether

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wounderings since the higher RPM you go the less eficent the DB2 is and it starts going way down hill at 4000RPM besides the other issues with the pump at that speed.