RIP C6

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So when I bought my 84 there had been no motor in it and the c6 was sitting there with no converter in it. Not good. I thought I would risk it though, after about a week I think I burnt up all the forward clutches and the reverse ones are going. Symptoms, it wont move at all in forward gears and will barely move in reverse but it is slipping really bad. Sound like clutches?

Edit: would a regular rebuild kit for a c6, say through b&m or TCI work for the diesel tranny? I want it to shift pretty hard and maybe put a manual shift kit in it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Oregon Performance transmission on fleabay has some very good prices on their rebuild kits - reputable parts too. I need to buy 2 kits to rebuild two C4s so Ive been checking around.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Link no work dazed. I need to rebuild a c4 for my explorer too so i'll look into oregon bigrig.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably you had constant vaccum, blew out the seals, then lost a lot of the fluid, and now have toasted everything. Your probably looking at a hard parrts and soft parts rebuild. You might think about just finding a donor C6 if at all possible. Don't know if anyone has one laying around. If you do rebuild or replace it, I have a mild BCMshift kit that I would let go cheap. Its not the real racing one that gives you full manual control, but the one that gives positive shifts under load. The vaccum is very critical on the C6...so be sure the pin is in your transmission modulator line, you have the correct modulator, and that the VRV works and is adjusted such that you can feel 2 distinct shifts. If not, its better for it to shift it manually till you know you have it right.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
......The C6's are all the same except VB, govenor and Tq convertor for the diesel. C6 Transmission Parts
wrong.
diesel C-6 have larger clutch drums to pack more elements in. the steel in the clutch drums are different too.
I've been gutting diesel C-6's for years for the clutch drums to beef up the C-6's hooked behind 460 gassers. drums assy's are interchangable but the guts in the drums are specific.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Good to know Towcat, I have both a smallblock and a bigblock/diesel C6 here for safe keeping. If the C4 in my twin turbo Ranger wont stand up Ill upgrade to the C6....Just trying to save a few HP and some weight by using a built C4.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I bought my 84 there had been no motor in it and the c6 was sitting there with no converter in it. Not good. I thought I would risk it though, after about a week I think I burnt up all the forward clutches and the reverse ones are going. Symptoms, it wont move at all in forward gears and will barely move in reverse but it is slipping really bad. Sound like clutches?

Edit: would a regular rebuild kit for a c6, say through b&m or TCI work for the diesel tranny? I want it to shift pretty hard and maybe put a manual shift kit in it.

where in Idaho you at Hyde??? I can hook you up with good parts from my trans supplier. A c6 can be built to hurt the rest of the drivetrain.lol As said,high vacuum can lower pressures and slip the trans. Give some info on your truck, I have a 4x4 core to build if you want exchange.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I'm in coeur d alene, north idaho. Its an 84 4x4, n/a 7.3. I have a buddy in la pine who I might be going down to see mid december, might be able to work something out then, thats a little closer to you I'd imagine, I havent lived in oregon for a few years wheres newberg?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 miles sw of portland. I build lots of c6's at work for our airport equipment and know a few tricks, not all mind you but most.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are more forward clutches in the diesel trans as towcat said, also there are some diffs in the valve body but they will swap with gas ones with the shift improver kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online