Removing VE-pump anti-tamper cover w/o damaging it?

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick up their sleeve for removing the VE-Pump's anti-tamper cover in such a way that it is not damaged and can be replaced?

Being in California, with a '88 Chummins with a VIN code that says "454", I cannot trust that BAR and DMV won't screw me and change my title/registration from diesel back to gasoline, necessitating another visit to the Smog Referee. As long as that doesn't happen (again!), I'm good and smog-exempt. But I'm leery of counting on that not happening again. So whatever I do, it needs to be reversible. I suppose I could replace the injectors to increase fueling, but that is a) not cheap, and b) not adjustable.

ut99dot1

Reaction score
I hate this screw, I destroyed many pumps bcuz of it. You can actually turn the screw in 1-2 more turns even with this collar on, lol. I finally found a injector-shop who had some spare screws lying around and took a bunch with me.

My guess, if I had to do it would be to clamp it (through a wooden block so you dont damage the threads), and then use a dremel to cut at the spot welded parts of the collar.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have taken the collar off a couple. It really depends on the spot-weld how gibbled the threads are. I used jewelers files and a thread size to clean it up.

You can also buy a replacement screw.

Edit: how much adjustability the screw has varies. Early pumps have more adjustment. My '93 only got one extra turn after the collar came off.