Rear Fuel Tank Cleaning - Dear God

William workman

Reaction score
I was told by an old 6.9L Diesel mechanic ( that worked on this engine when it first came out ) I had the same problem as you with the black tar , witch is your biodiesel fuel sediment . I bought a 1985 F-350 Ford Dually with the 6.9L non turbo that set for 5 years or so ? Because it had stopped running . I had to replace the injector pump first , with new fuel filter . It would run for a short time and guit ? I was getting water ? I went to the old water fuel separator ford put on the firewall and got some water .but then the separator would not close .So I bypassed it and hooked the two hoses together Also my fuel gages I found out wasn't right ? My front tank showed about 1/4 tank ,back tank 0 . I went to put 5 gallons of diesel in front tank and only got about 2 1/2 in and it started to run out fill spout ?I knew the somethings wrong here .So I got a electric pump and hooked it to the rubber line going to the fuel lift pump .I got a full 19 gallons of red biodiesel ,regular Diesel and about 1 gallon water and black muck ?This was my front side tank .After getting the tank off and talking the sender unit out , I could not believe what I was looking at the sending unit was covered with black tar looking crap ? inside the tank was worse , I would say almost 2" of that stuff in the bottom . I had to replace it all . I went to the gent I started to tell you about in the beginning of this story To see what he would charge me to set the timing on my truck , because I knew just by putting the pump on and lining up the marks on the pump mount housing ,was only a staring point .We had a good talk about everything and I brought up about the mess the fuel tanks were in .He said to go get E85 Gas and put in them ( with them off ) and outside tempters around 80 DEG. or above ,let them set in the heat for awhile then move them around now and then . He says it will clean them up like new ? I can't say about the sending unit ? I had already bought new tanks and sender units . Didn't tell him that though .He says the E85 has worked for him .

TexasTruck

Reaction score
I can try the E85 and higher. The rear tank is fairly clean now. Just needs a wipe down and reinstall when I get the new sender pickup assembly. Former owner told me he would always top off the tanks with fresh diesel then add a half quart of ATF to each tank.

The E85 should absorb the water if my understanding is correct.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The E85 should absorb the water if my understanding is correct.
Yes, but I wouldn't try letting evaporation get rid of it. I would dump the E85 out. That way it will take the water with it. I just don't know if the water would stay mixed with the E85 when it evaporates or if it would separate back out. I do know that you don't let gas with far less alcohol in it than 85% sit around for very long. You'll have issues with water in the gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88