Rear Drums off of a Dana 70

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Will they just slip off (with some persuasion of course)? Or do the axles/hubs need to come off to get the drums off? I just lost my brakes and found a big fluid stain in the left rear backing plate. Seems like that wheel cylinder is shot. I ordered all of the parts but none of my manuals have any good info on the drum removal. I've spent a few days researching it and have found conflicting info.

TIA (still lurking after all these years ;Really)

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some say the whole hub has to come off but the one i put in my 95 just the drums come off.it uses the same brakes setup as the 10.25 sterling axle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Dana 70 I've seen (I'm no expert) you have to remove the axle/hub to get the drum off.

Heath

tractorman86

Reaction score
if it is the same as the 10.25 you simply adjust the brakes in and slide the drum off. probably worth it to just give it a shot, if it dosent come off after freeing the shoes start taking the hub off.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Rich - thanks for posting that picture (which I had found while searching). I'll try the easy way (sliding them off) first. If that doesn't work then on to the more involved way.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
FWIW - here's what the on-line instructions look like on the AutoZone site...

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1. Raise the vehicle and install jackstands.
2. Remove the wheel. Loosen the rear brake shoe adjustment.
3. Remove the rear axle retaining bolts and lockwashers, axle shaft, and gasket.
4. Remove the wheel bearing locknut, lockwasher, and adjusting nut.
5. Remove the hub and drum assembly from the axle.
6. Remove the brake drum-to-hub retaining screws, bolts or bolts and nut. Remove the brake drum from the hub.

To install:
7. Place the drum on the hub and attach it to the hub with the attaching nuts and bolts.
8. Place the hub and drum assembly on the axle and start the adjusting nut.
9. Adjust the wheel bearing nut and install the wheel bearing lockwasher and locknut.
10. Install the axle shaft with a new gasket and install the axle retaining bolts and lockwashers.
11. Install the wheel and adjust the brake shoes. Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online