RABS question

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Does the vehical speed sensor also act as an ABS sensor? Or is the proportioning valve dohicky mounted on the frame rail the ABS? If so there are no wires attached at the valve, also there appears to be a linkage rod missing that would connect that proportion valve to the rear axle.
My speedo works, yet the red and white twisted wires that go to the VSS are cut, well just the red one is cut, the white is not. I would think my speedo would not function with one wire cut. :confused:

I did replace all brake pads and had drums turned and one new rotor. I bled the brakes, but still the pedal is soft. The truck will stop with no problem, but I think the brake pedal should have more pressure to it. Would the missing linkage rod at the rear axle account for less rear brake power? :confused:

Any advise would be appreciated.

By the way, since I joined this site, everyone has been very helpfull. Thanks a lot guys, I have recommended this site to my freinds. :thumbsup:

2500cummins

Reaction score
Are you sure it has ABS?
The dohickey on the left rear frame rail is a load sensing valve, nothing to do with ABS, if its in the down position it would probably reduce braking......
The sensor for the speedometer is on the tailshaft of the transfer case.
Not sure where the ABS sensor would be on a '94-'97, the later trucks use one on the rear diff for both the rear ABS and speedo, front ABS sensors are in the front wheel bearing cartriges (a lot of trucks only have rear ABS)
The rear brakes dont do a damn thing on these trucks in stock form :rolleyes: 125,000 from a set of rear shoes is common. A nice upgrade for the rear brakes is a larger rear wheel cylinder, stock 2500 is 24mm, 3500 is 27mm. Use the Napa #4637337 30mm cylinders for a GMC 3500, they're larger than the Dodge 1 ton and fit perfect, fairly cheap too ;Sweet .
Make sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly, they are a little touchy about adjustment.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
If the speedo sensor is on the T-case, then I do have ABS. There is a sensor on the rear axle that looks like the VSS on the Sterling 10.25 axles.
Guess I'll repair the boken wire and see if that fixs the ABS light.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online