PSD questions

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I got a buddys that has a 94-97 model psd, not sure on the year, but its a E4OD truck and got a few questions, alright first off it dont crank good cold, the glow plug light stays on around 5-8 seconds give or take, and it just wont start cold, but sometimes when its warm and you shut it off and start it right back it take like 5-8 seconds to start back thats too long for a warm engine so anything i can do? also i dont know what the turbos on these are supose to sound like but his dont whistle as much as some i have herd, only time his whistles is when your getting on it hard and the rpm's get high, it dont seem like its low on power or anything, but my IDI is as fast or faster than it is,

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
OBS trucks with stock turbo,exhaust, intake aren't very loud. Sounds like he either has a weak starter, batteries, or has a LPOP going out. Stock OBS PSD with some high miles will run as about as good as an IDI.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
OBS trucks with stock turbo,exhaust, intake aren't very loud. Sounds like he either has a weak starter, batteries, or has a LPOP going out. Stock OBS PSD with some high miles will run as about as good as an IDI.

the starter isnt weak, and the batteries aint weak either, it cranks over real fast just cranks and cranks then fires off all at once, whats LPOP?
Also the truck has 300,000, but the people he bout it from said it had a brand new crate engine, and i looked at it and its real clean even the turbo looks clean

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remove the oil fill cap and sniff inside the valve cover.youre looking for a burnt wiring smell.most likely it needs the wiring harnesses under the valve cover,valve cover gaskets,possibly main harness pigtails,and glow plugs.if you know somebuddy with a GOOD scanner(no autozone cheapies for these trucks.) have them run a buzz test on it.if it fails it needs the parts mentioned above.if it passes it still may or may not need all or some of those parts.can also run a glow plug test on it as well.also make sure the glowplug relay is working.its under the plastic cover on the front of the passengers side of the engine.looks like the starter relay on the fender and has a cable from it to the positive terminal on the battery.

could also be injectors or injector O-rings.usually they start ok cold but start hard when hot.when the o rings are gone they let the high pressure oil system leak down when it sits at night.you need 5-600PSI before the engine will even think about firing.leaking plugs in the heads and HPOP and HPOP lines will also do this.pull the fuel filter and see what color the fuel is.or use the water drain to some into a cup.if its black the injectors orings are most likely junk.clear doesnt mean the orings are bad or good but a possibility they are good.have a contribution test run on it after you get the hard start figured out or if the glow plugs and harnesses are good.

as for the turbo.a bone stock 94-97 psd is almost silent.they dont start talking till you do a cold air intake and 3"exhaust.

and read the valuable psd info thread stuck to the top of the forum.tons of good info in there for you.;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and these beasts need the glow plugs to start even warm.

and for power a turned up turbo IDI will run with a bone stock psd.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
oh and these beasts need the glow plugs to start even warm.

and for power a turned up turbo IDI will run with a bone stock psd.

so far every psd i have raced with my idi i have eat them up, but thats when i was running crazy rpm and glow plug eating timing, i have raced a psd that ran perfect and was stick shift and had a straight pipe, but i still left him about a trucks lengths behind me, but if that thing had a chip i know he would have killed my idi

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so far every psd i have raced with my idi i have eat them up, but thats when i was running crazy rpm and glow plug eating timing, i have raced a psd that ran perfect and was stick shift and had a straight pipe, but i still left him about a trucks lengths behind me, but if that thing had a chip i know he would have killed my idi

mine has a blown tranny or id tell ya turn it back up and come try mine.

oh ya he woulda killed ya if he had a chip.a friend of mine has a monte ss with a 383 stroker in it.i chased him down a back road well over 100MPH and my front bumper was stuck to his rear bumper like i was a trailer.he could not get away from me.:slycookoo:D damn near ran that chevy over :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine has a blown tranny or id tell ya turn it back up and come try mine.

oh ya he woulda killed ya if he had a chip.a friend of mine has a monte ss with a 383 stroker in it.i chased him down a back road well over 100MPH and my front bumper was stuck to his rear bumper like i was a trailer.he could not get away from me.:slycookoo:D damn near ran that chevy over :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

yea yours aint stockLOL

powerhungry07

Reaction score
dyoung14
my 97 was doing the same thing, and at drive thrus norm wouldnt turn over after i shut it off. one day at work it wouldnt start but would turnover. bumpstarted it got it home primary battery was half dead and starter cylenoid was dead just saying if you can take them off and have them checked. might not be the same answer for you just a suggestion