over heating 460?

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
OK here goes, I have a 1985 F-250 with a 460 carbonated gasser and a c-6. Now I started having an over heating problem so I went through the list and replaced the radiator, radiator cab, waterpump, hoses, belts, thermostat 3 different times tested all of them and a new temp sensor.

The three thermostats were a stock temp 190, then a 180, now a 160, and the damn thing still keeps running hot. Id doesn't over heat but it runs hot. Running down the road it will be cool then it will get hot almost to max. then seem to cool down own its own.

The only thing I can possibly think of is timing? Someone said that there's a heater valve of some sorts in the back of the motor that might be casing problems any one else know about that?

Just grasping at straws so any help would be appreciated.

the only thing else is :shoot: gassers

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dualie
OK here goes, I have a 1985 F-250 with a 460 carbonated gasser and a c-6.

Thats funny, just last week my teenage boy was listing the parts under the hood and called the carb a carbonater, but he was serious:D

Now, I assume you have replaced the radiator with another stock radiator? New or reman'ed? Tanks clean on the radiator? How about the fan, clutching fan? Is it operational? How long since the whole system has been flushed?

Pull the thermostat out completely and see how it runs down the road. The way you describe it getting hot then cold sure sounds like a thermostat cycling to me....... :(

BTW- welcome to OB.net:cheers:

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Oh yea NEW fan clutch tested with cardboard in front of grille. Works when needed. And the radiator is a new vistion stock replacement for an AUTO, AC with H/D cooling 460. The coolant has been flushed 4 times since this all started. And the coolant eye shows no air in the system and clean green fluid.

OH and some times i just want to -Flame Thr the whole fleet and buy 5 new shiny fords and make the ford service department my *****!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the temp sending unit registers hot, is she really hot? Boiling over? Im kinda at a loss here too, but maybe you have a phantom wire problem or something.

You mentioned timing advancement, have you thrown a timing light on it? You have to be pretty far advanced to build significant amounts of heat. To the point that she would ping pretty ******* 88-90 octane pump gas.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick dumb question, but this is verified by an aftermarket gauge, correct?

'80-'86 factory gauges are known for being inaccurate, and I don't think that that problem's limited to the diesel models. I think the IVR is the general culprit...

Just a thought...good luck!

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Well, I haven't thrown a light on it for 2 reasons. 1 I don't want to have to try and find the damn timing light, haven't seen that damn thing in years, as I have pretty much sworn off spark ignited motors. And 2 with the damn rack on the flatbed I cant get it in the garage.

And IM 95% sure that the over heating is really going on when the gauge says it is. There's a noticeable lack of power when the temp gauge is in the high side. This is a WORK truck and I really don't want any gauges hanging around in the cab waiting for something to slam into them and royally screw something up.

Oh and this truck has 210,000 miles original motor never had the heads of, valve covers once for a gasket.

EDIT: just checked timing and it was 2 deg advanced. and 2 deg isnt causeing my problems so I didnt want to Screw with it

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
sounds like a gauge or wires to me... but just on the off chance there is a plate that mounts on the back of the water pump on all 460's, it has gasket on BOTH sides of it... most of them when the pump is removed will stick to the block or the pump. did you happen to leave it on the old water pump?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dualie-
dumb question....how is the vacum advance doing? I got parts for the damn thing if you need stuff. got a fed smog 87 460 that is getting parted out due to way bad tags.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
You know I have been thinking just that same thing! I haven't had the chance to check the vacuum advance as of yet. If your just going to scrap the motor let me know I can give it a nice home in the f-250 someday because for some damn reason he's sentimentally attached to that damn thing.

Also does this thing have AC? IM still looking for an AC system for that damn 450. That needs a fuel pump now.

Let me know

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
what ac parts ya looking for? I have about 3 460's one in my bronco and the other 2 are in my barn, after I build them I have some left over stock junk (brackets and compressors mostly) i buy all of them I can get my hands on at a reasonable price.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
well the truck that needs ac is a fuel infected pile with a new motor. how ever when they put the new motor in the used some sort of saw and hacked the AC box off the fire wall. so i need everything engine side of the fire wall and a pump for a serpentine belt system

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
sorry dude... no can do on that... my ac pumps are all v belt pumps, the ac box should be easy you can get one off a half ton or anything, make sure you get the right kind though some are cable controled and some are vacume controled. I got into that when I put ac in a truck

sassyrel

Reaction score
check for the plate between the pump and block as stated--otherwise the water will just swirl around--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online