Original CPS died today at approx 60k

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my first CPS failure today. Truck had quit once at a stop sign a couple days ago but started back up. Thought it was a fluke. Did it again then today it would barely start at work. Then it quit for good at an intersection. Fortunately I had a spare...unfortunately my traveling toolbox is in the garage. Went and bought some. I needed a screwdriver to assist pulling the old one out, the o-ring had welded itself in there after 6 years. Installed the new one and she fired right up. Moral of the story is to keep that 10mm handy and have a spare on hand. IS there an improved CPS version available?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It has been improved alegedly! Mine died at about 45K with hte same symptoms as you. Those things are the most unreliable pieces of equipment! They can live for 5k or just never fail at all. Like you said, carry a spare.
Ken

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
In the FWIW dept :D the one in my '96 went over 200k :thumbsup:

Changing them is the easy part.....they just don't seem to let you get home or at least somewhere safe,dry or in daylight LOL

I hear there is a "blue" one that is supposed to be the latest and greatest , but there are some questions regarding those with custom tuned chips :confused:

NVCowboy

Reaction score
One of the guys on TDS went and did compression testing between blue and black cps with JOdy Tipton (AKA DP Tuner) sitting in the seat next to him. FOMOGO drove off with the black CPS in his truck. Its worth going to the ohter site for a look at his post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online