Old Truck Older Guy New Here

71 Highboy

Reaction score
I have looked at this site over the years but never joined. Til now. I've had my truck since 1974 and after several (3) gas motors, converted it to a turboed 6.9 in 1992. Used the crap out of it over the years, now has a bit over 500,000 on it with very few issues. 2 years ago, I freshened it up top to bottom in the engine room and transmission. I had gone thru a 7.3 and installed it thinking I was doing the right thing. While the 6.9 was out I put 400 miles on the 7.3, but was not happy. So I went thru the 6.9 (what I should have done to begin with) and put it back in. There's a few pics in media named 71 Highboy. The 7.3 is complete with new Stanydyne Injectors, and a Professionally built pump, new bearings, new lifters, new oil pump, Mahle rings with Total Seal second rings, turbo manifolds and crossover pipe, and a Rotomaster Turbo. New flywheel for a C6, and some various front serpentine pieces for the front and some motor mount parts from the donor. It only needs a starter. If anyone is looking for a drop in engine, this is in the Pacific NW an hour from Portland. Pictures of the work and inside of it and receipts available on request. I just don't need it. Leave a message here if interested. Thanks.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
Some of ya'll may see stuff under the hood that shouldn't be there. The Volvo windshield washer unit, the GM PS pump, the Dodge Turbo in the wrong location, the brake booster at the wrong angle, the mechanical throttle linkage to cable conversion to work on the other side of the engine from a gas motor. Those were all additions to use available room, or make room. Some may or may not see the pair of 6 volt batteries. Just for the benefit of those new here, I've been running this system with a manual glow system for almost 30 years like this. I found the original system to be very trouble prone through my early research, so made I the decision to heat them at their DESIGNED voltage of 6 volts by running the supply from only one of the batteries to the relay, and simply count seconds while heating, in very cold weather up to a minute, but usually 30 to 40 seconds. Don't need a wait to start lite. They don't heat at all every start if I don't push the button, thereby extending life at least double. They don't swell up from overtime use. And they are not necessary every start when there is some heat in the engine. In fact, if I plug it in for an hour or two, not usually even needed. They are the original blade style for 6.9's, and the original harness using the 2 leads from relay to GP's, and the old coil wire energizes the fuel shut off and the electric fuel pump. The lift pump is still in line as well. Trouble free starting system. The other thing I did was plumb the return line to the filler neck for the tank behind the cab. When it was gas, I would run the 20 gallon saddle tanks out first and switch to the tank with the gauge last. When I switched it to diesel, I had to use the gauged tank first. Then between 1/4 and empty, I switch to a saddle, note the odo, and refill as I drive. Usually 50 to 60 miles will do it. Mileage is a consistent 15, so it's just head calculations to know when to switch back, and memory, so I don't overfill the cab tank. You guy have a great site. Hope this helps some one down the road.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn’t you like the 7.3? Sounds like a sweet setup you have. Can’t wait to see pictures of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71 Highboy

Reaction score
It started hard even when warmed up, like air intrusion, but I could not identify why. I might not have given it a fair chance; it's not even broke in. And the 6.9 had given me reliability for so long, I think it was a payback for trying to improve on a good combination. I have an album posted but since I'm new to the site, AND somewhat computer illiterate, still learning to navigate here. I put them in media, but not sure how to share that album. I also have a very low mileage 2015 F350 Superduty I got while I was doing the work on this one for pulling my horse and race trailers. Both trucks like their job. Both get the same mileage. But this one draws all the attention with the strait pipe and beautiful turbo whistle when I roll in to some event in either sport...

Last edited:

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started hard even when warmed up, like air intrusion, but I could not identify why. I might not have given it a fair chance; it's not even broke in. And the 6.9 had given me reliability for so long, I think it was a payback for trying to improve on a good combination. I have an album posted but since I'm new to the site, AND somewhat computer illiterate, still learning to navigate here. I put them in media, but not sure how to share that album. I also have a very low mileage 2015 F350 Superduty I got while I was doing the work on this one for pulling my horse and race trailers. Both trucks like their job. Both get the same mileage. But this one draws all the attention with the strait pipe and beautiful turbo whistle when I roll in to some event in either sport...
Hard starting when hot is a common symptom of a bad/ worn out ip.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
That's why I got the pump overhauled in PDX, at Pacific Fuel Injection, and a new set of Stanadyne injectors. I've had good luck with them over the years. It did not help, but thanks. I usually don't give up easily...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online