old/sour gas - need additive?

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an 89 F150 302 this past week and need to get rid of the sour fuel in the tanks. is there any additives you can recommend to get the job done?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much fuel is in the tanks?does it smell real bad?will the truck run?i usually drain the tanks and fill with fresh fuel then let it run for a while to clean the system out.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both tanks are pretty full and the truck does run. I was told that I could use up the fuel till its about empty, add some sort of additive to it, and fill up the tanks half way hoping that'll losen up the deposits in the bottom of the tank and take care of the sour gas problem. I can't really tell if it smells real bad but I walk by the truck and I smell it without the truck running. I want to avoid dropping the tanks if at all possible.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there really isnt much that you can do other than run it till empty and fill with fresh fuel or drain the tanks and fill with fresh fuel.you could try some of the fuel stabilizers products but i doubt they will do much of anything.

sassyrel

Reaction score
well--when i put a new fuel pump in one truck--that stuff smelled 100 yrs old!!!--about 3/4 tank--put it back in the tank--started the truck on the other tank--when was warm--switched over--and run till tank was dry--then switched over--and put new fuel in the tank never had a problem--wouldnt start on that fuel--but with hot engine it would--mileage was bad, though--!!!!

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had old gas one time in my I6 when I first bought it the millage as you said was horrible of course because it lost some octane rating over time it also made my emission's testing run high in the CO2 and other parameters as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online