Oil return line for turbo

racecar

Reaction score
Can I drill and tap a oil return line from the turbo to the valve cover as long as the turbo is located above the valve cover to have a direct path?
Thanks

racecar

Reaction score
Thanks. Does it matter exact location or can I locate return on the flat spot on the valve cover?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
You'll find that the top of the valve cover is higher than the bottom of the turbo--at least on a mitsubishi te06h like the wastegated sidewinder uses.

I drilled into the side of the valve cover on the inside back corner of the drivers side and had to shave down the fitting so it wouldn't hit the rocker arm. I also used a braided stainless 5/8" line with female ends so I could seal it up tight. The rubber grommet that Banks supplies would never quite seal up and would allow that greasy vapor to blow out and cover everything.

I don't know if I can get a camera shot or not.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow its funny this thread came up, because I have been wanting to make a better turbo drain but I wasn't sure exactly how to do it. How did you connect the braided line to the bottom of the turbo?? If you could get pics of this that would be cool,
Thanks
Lance

racecar

Reaction score
You'll find that the top of the valve cover is higher than the bottom of the turbo--at least on a mitsubishi te06h like the wastegated sidewinder uses.

I drilled into the side of the valve cover on the inside back corner of the drivers side and had to shave down the fitting so it wouldn't hit the rocker arm. I also used a braided stainless 5/8" line with female ends so I could seal it up tight. The rubber grommet that Banks supplies would never quite seal up and would allow that greasy vapor to blow out and cover everything.

I don't know if I can get a camera shot or not.

thanks, pictures would be great.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow its funny this thread came up, because I have been wanting to make a better turbo drain but I wasn't sure exactly how to do it. How did you connect the braided line to the bottom of the turbo?? If you could get pics of this that would be cool,
Thanks
Lance

They sell 1/2" NPT oil return flanges on ebay that will fit anything with a Garrett-style flange on the bottom for the oil return (most turbos do).

Last edited:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'll snap a shot as soon as I can. What I did was drill the valve cover and put in a 1/2" npt flange with a rubber o ring to seal it. I then used JB Weld and covered any spot that could leak in the future.

After that I bent the Banks drain line towards the valve cover and connected a rubber hose with a barbed fitting into the flange. This gave me a length for a template for the braided line.

Once that was hooked up and I was satisfied unbolt the drain from the bottom of the turbo, I I unscrewed the barbed fitting out of the valve cover and took the whole mess over to a shop that makes hydraulic lines and what not.

Sounds complex but it's not.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you use a 3/8'' line to raise the oil pressure a little? Because before the turbo I had 35-40 lbs at idle, and when a put the T in the line for the turbo it dropped to about 15 at idle. I would like to try to get the pressure up a bit.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't do anything with pressure on the drain because on a turbo it's gravity drain. You want as big a return line as you can run. If the oil backs up into the turbo, it will seep out through the seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online