Oil change for ZF-5 Transmission

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, it's time to put clean oil in the old ZF-5. Question is, what do I put in for oil that works best. 210,000 miles on the trans and it's still working good.
Like to keep it that way.

Any tips and tricks for how to fill it, what to use for oil, anti friction additives, or any other guidance would be appreciated.

Also doing the rear end oil same time.

Truck is a F-450 with 10 lug wheels so what ever rear end it has it's the "heavy duty one".. I suppose.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
FYI rear is a Dana 80...
Trans uses ATF, some people use 50 wt ATF, Rear diff uses 80-90.

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of people using gear oil in the trans, im not to sure if thats a good idea or not. im sure someone else would know

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to do the same.. have ran regular gear oil in the old chevy 4 spds but want to do the ZF right, seems like i have ATF in it now from the trans shop but seems like something a little thicker would make it quieter and maybe a little smoother..

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to do the same.. have ran regular gear oil in the old chevy 4 spds but want to do the ZF right, seems like i have ATF in it now from the trans shop but seems like something a little thicker would make it quieter and maybe a little smoother..

Turn back.... :) Take it from someone who followed that path of thought and action with transmissions before and found that thicker lubricant impaired the function of the synchronizers to a really noticeable degree, making shifting much more tricky and harsh. I am actually glad that the difference was so noticeable, as it made me change it right back to the recommended fluid, whereas if the difference were slight, I might have been accelerating wear without knowing it. We all like to "improve" things but sometimes you have to remember that OEM recommendations often have a basis in a depth of detail and experience that is not apparent to anyone else.

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a Royal Purple convert. I was having high temp issues with my Jeep running 4.10 gears and 33" tires on the highway. switched to RP gear oil and temps dropped noticeably. Ever since then I run RP in all my rigs. ATF in the ZF5 and tcase.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run Mercon III ATF if you still have your DMF. Streight 30wt. non-detergent motor oil if you don't.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i like the royal purple product so i will see what i can find and run that when i change the fluids..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Factory spec is all over teh map for that box but the base fill is ATF. Regular ATF is 20 wt. I've found that 30wt synthetic ATF and 50 wt synthetic ATF work much better . I'm currently running the Amsoil 50wt CTL powershift automatic transmission fluid. This stuff is a regular fill for heavy over teh road big truck transmissions( synthetic 50 wt atf is easy to find, most companies make a version of it since that is what most big trucks run nowdays)

I had origianlly put the 30wt synthetic in and then when my brownie really needed the 50 I decided to try it in the zf after talking it over with the tech guys at Amsoil since it basically crosses in that gray area of lube specs between different typs of oils allowed for teh box, the 50 is allowed . With that stuff I get basically no gear rollover noise from my zf ( and very little from my brownie) and cold shifting is easier than it was on the dino oil that was in the thing when I got it, and with the kind of heavy towing I do, I just know I'm saving some serious wear.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I did a lot of thinking about this when i did my swap and now have a solid wheel. I tried Redline manual tranny fruid. That didnt seem to help my roll over noise any. I tried going to my local big rig place and getting some atf fuild. ( i cant remember what wt i got though). I didnt like the way it shifted with that. My tranny has many many many miles on the syncros so i cant say which is better. In a couple weeks here i will be pulling my tranny apart for a syncro kit and to inspect everything else. (already put a bearing kit in it before i knew what roll over noise was).

So with that thought here in the motorcycle industry we use lots of oils that deal with trannys and clutchs. We can not use a regular car oil because most of the bikes use the same oil for the tranny and engine. So for instance honda makes an oil that is a basic 10w40 and is aproved to be run in a bike that the oil goes through the engine and tranny/clutch. Honda also makes a tranny oil that says 80/85 wt on it for the 2 stroke bottom end. Now i know that oil is not 80/85wt because its like water and has something to do with being rated differnt. Bell ray has a gear saver designed for tranny/clutch as well thats an 80/85.

Would a basic dino 10w40 motorcycle oil work for something like this? or is it too thin?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I did a lot of thinking about this when i did my swap and now have a solid wheel. I tried Redline manual tranny fruid. That didnt seem to help my roll over noise any. I tried going to my local big rig place and getting some atf fuild. ( i cant remember what wt i got though). I didnt like the way it shifted with that. My tranny has many many many miles on the syncros so i cant say which is better. In a couple weeks here i will be pulling my tranny apart for a syncro kit and to inspect everything else. (already put a bearing kit in it before i knew what roll over noise was).

So with that thought here in the motorcycle industry we use lots of oils that deal with trannys and clutchs. We can not use a regular car oil because most of the bikes use the same oil for the tranny and engine. So for instance honda makes an oil that is a basic 10w40 and is aproved to be run in a bike that the oil goes through the engine and tranny/clutch. Honda also makes a tranny oil that says 80/85 wt on it for the 2 stroke bottom end. Now i know that oil is not 80/85wt because its like water and has something to do with being rated differnt. Bell ray has a gear saver designed for tranny/clutch as well thats an 80/85.

Would a basic dino 10w40 motorcycle oil work for something like this? or is it too thin?

Your regular modern motor oils are not the best as there are some additives that do not play nice with the synchros long term. You will notice when Mel mentioned motor oil, he specified 30 wt *non detergent* that is a beast that is getting pretty hard to find aside from some small engine specific oils, but it it absent the offending additives that can damage the synchros. You will not find a multigrade motor oil that does not have a detergent package. and gear oil is acceptable as well, but it has to be gear oil that doesn't have EP ( extreme pressure ) additives in it as , you guessed it, they don't play nice either and they can have a habit of helping the tranny jump out of gear

If you went to a big rig place and they sold you some fluid and it didn't shift good, there's a good chance you got some old school yo-yo who sold you a jug of mineral oil if you didn't know for sure what it was you were getting. You can always look up the specs on whatever it is that they have. The manufacturers always post the specs on teh web

When the zf came out synthetic wasn't real popular and it had dino atf in it and that was the spec and regular atf is 20 wt , they later changed their *primary*spec ( I say primary as zf has a whole list of acceptable lubes for their boxes including the zf542 )for diesels towing to be synthetic ATF but if you were to go to a 30 or 50 wt synthetic atf your shifting , especially cold should be way better than what it would have been on the original fill. A 50 falls under the high limits of the highest spec for a gear oil fill, but that is also using dino lubes as a standard and not synthetics, so a 50 wt synthetic atf shifts cold smoother than a dino 20 wt so you don't have to spend the first 15 miles double clutching the thing trying to fight it into gear due to to thick a lube like you would with gear oil ( if you were having to do that, somebody sold you some mineral oil)

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
ok thank you for the info. It was a hard find where im at to get the big rid oil. i call it that because i dont remember what wt i got. He did just dump it from a big 5 gal bucket into a 1 gal jug for me.

in a couple weeks here i will be pulling my tranny to do an over haul on it. syncro kit and all.. A new valair clutch and flywheel will also be installed at the time. I just want to find a good fluid to help me out with everything being fresh. someone mentioned royal purple atf. I know i can get that at my local parts store in town. How do i go about finding some 50w synthetic atf and not getting junk again..

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got synthetic blend ATF in mine and it works like a CHARM.

Drain the oil using the drain plug.

Put the drain plug back in.

Pull the shifter boot/trim from the floor, and pull the tower off the transmission. 10, 5/16" bolts? Pour a whole gallon in there and put the tower back on with a THIN COAT OF BLACK OR GREY RTV. This was the easiest way to fill mine when I converted from E4OD auto to ZF last fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online