Odd Steering Question

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Here's a doozy. I've been having an odd noise coming from the steering system on my truck. Here's the deal. When I turn the wheel (either direction) there's a squeaking noise coming from teh front end. I haven't been able to climb under it with someone turning the wheel so I don't know if it's the power steering pump or a tie rod maybe, worn out bushing on a pitman arm, or what. Any ideas of a common problem on these trucks that may be the culprit?

Oh, the truck only has about 90k miles on it so I can't imagine it being something huge that has worn out this soon. :confused:

Believer45

Reaction score
First thought would be belt tension if it is that kind of noise. Second would be grease in the front end parts if it is a metal to metal kind of noise. Best bet, as you say, get under it with someone you trust inside and check things out.

Dave / Believer45

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
For a squeek I would not accuse the pump or steering box quite yet. I would suspect something more along the lines of a tie rod end or something like that...if you have greaseable joint i would grease em up and see what you get...also may want to have a look at your front susp. bushings.

Good Luck,
Casey

skeet298

Reaction score
Things get so dry under there, spray WD-40 on everything and see if that helps. Old trick when you went to trade in a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance